• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Register Office Edmund Street

Vivienne, that is were my late Wife and I were married December 27 1952 by Special licence, as I was about to be posted to the Far East and wished my Wife to join me. Eric

Having struggled to place the photo on Edmund Street in post #1, I think I've finally worked out the exact position on the street of the old(est) Register Office. The section of Edmund Street on which it stood no longer exists, but here it is on a 1902 map (red dot). Maybe Mike could correct me if he thinks it's wrong.

Very few photos seem to be available of this last section of Edmund Street where it joined Easy Row. The building immediately ahead is the one pic 2 below showing Easy Row/Paradise Street/Broad Street. And behind the photographer to the left would have been the Hope and Anchor pub and Central Library (the Victorian one) see pic 3. Doubtless a few newlyweds nipped in there to celebrate the occasion (the pub, not the Library !).

Viv.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Think you re right as it occupied 6 to 14. Attached map from 1952 to 1955. Building had gone by 1960 map.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-21_13-18-23.png
    upload_2017-9-21_13-18-23.png
    226.8 KB · Views: 19
The bottom 2 pics must have been taken at different times, one shows the Pub (something and Anchor) and one doesn't. I'm downloading the bottom one for my family album. 3 months after we were married there my Wife joined me in Hong Kong, then Singapore, when she arrived in HK I had booked a fly/cruise to Japan for a belated honeymoon as a surprise (took all my savings but I didn't care!) Eric

Vivienne, your pic on #5 looks completely different to pic on #8 ? I am now confused which is showing the Registrar and where is it, it is nearly 65 years since I was married there so cannot remember what its exterior looked like (or its interior if it comes to that)

Hi Eric. The photo in post #5 shows the edge of old library and the Hope and Anchor pub on Edmund Street. The Hope and Anchor would have been nearly opposite the Register Office on Edmund Street.

Photo #1 shows the Edmnd Street Register Office on the right hand side. The view is looking down towards Easy Row. The building going across the bottom of Edmund Street is on Easy Row/Broad Street.

Photo #8 is looking up Edmund Street from Easy Row. Therefore the Edmund Street Register Office is on the left side before you reached Mason's College - the very tall building on the left.

Hope that's clear. Takes some working out. Spent all afternoon looking at the different images piecing it all together. The problem we have is that nothing of this end of Edmund Street (at Easy Row) no longer exists. It's now all buried under (I think) the 1960s Central Library.

Viv.

Thanks Vivienne, understand now, will download pic in post #8, the Registrar appears to be the dark 2 storey building between the light building and the tall ornate building. I should really remember what it looked like, but it was a long time ago (that's my excuse). Eric

You were probably far too excited Eric to remember the building !

By any chance did anyone have any wedding photos then outside the Edmund Street Register Office they'd like to share ?

Viv.

Thanks Lyn. Was looking for that today when I as looking at Edmund Street but I couldn't find it. Link is now firmly in my favourites! A brilliant tool. Viv.

hi viv carl has none of the register office and only 3 of edmund st...2 of them we all ready have and this is the other one

edmund st no 35.jpg

sorry to confuse eric...that is just a photo of edmund st the register office is not showing but i thought i would post it anyway...for years i thought it was called the registry office but i think its register..

lyn

The register office used to be in one of the streets off Colmore Row. Was it Livery Street? I remember going to a talk by John Yates late of the Birmingham Register Office. Anyone know anything about this earlier one please?

Yes, register office it is. I thought until I joined this forum that it was 'registry'.

Smashing photo Lyn from Carl. Shall have to study that. Thanks.

Lady P- do you mean there was a register office before the Edmund Street one ?

Viv.

Me and my late wife where married at the old,old Register Office in Edmund Street on the 5th April 1957, the address is or was 6-14 Edmund Street. I don't think it will much help and I have photo of the build as we took our photo's with little Browne box camera and only three turn out and they where out of focus. Charlie.

Hi Viv, Yes. I'm sure that was what John Yates said but the first one I ever went to was the one in Edmund Street about 1956 when my cousin was married there. I'm sure he said that it was off Colmore Row, maybe Livery Street or one that is parallel to it. He then went on to say that although there were three he only had photos of two. He retired soon after the talk I went to so I can't ask him!

Thanks Janice and Lady P. A very helpful link. So the Register Office was in Newhall Street prior to Edmund Street.

And that's how people sometimes think it's called the Registrar's Office, ie the office of the registrar. Thanks.

Viv.

Doubt if there are any members "done" at the Newhall St office, as it would have had to be in 1932 or earlier. Here is the list of registrars offices in the are from the 1932 Kellys, which shows that in that year the registration offices for the northern district of Birmingham was in Newhall St. In the 1933 editio and after it was Edmund St

Attachments

• kellys 1932.jpg
    kellys 1932.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 24
Back