• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Reformatory history questions

Stokkie

master brummie
I know a bit about Victorian crime and punishment. Can anyone suggest ways of researching a reformatory and its inmates. Am I correct in assuming they would have committed crimes to be sent there? Harold Waller born Liverpool 9 Sept 1895 was sent to Stoke Farm Reformatory and discharged Nov 1913. He enlisted in the Navy, but died 6 Aug 1914 when HMS Amphion struck a mine. He is not shown on the village war memorial, but appears on Plymouth Naval Memorial. Bromsgrove Messenger published an obituary. Could he have been excluded from the memorial because he was 'not of good character' and or not born locally? Also I've been unable to find anything about his offences or sentencing - via Ancestry. Advice welcome and suggestions for reading on the Reformatory system.

hi stokkie i take it you have already been on ancestry to find info about harold.....poor lad did not have a happy life by the sounds of it and only 18 when he died however i cant really see any reason why he is not on the village memorial apart from the fact he was not a local..

lyn

hi stokkie i take it you have already been on ancestry to find info about harold.....poor lad did not have a happy life by the sounds of it and only 18 when he died however i cant really see any reason why he is not on the village memorial

lyn
Yes, Lyn, he was killed on the first full day of the war. An Engineer's Writer - so in the engine room when the ship sank. (I think he was a clerk - Stoker Second Class) Poor lad. From reading round local communities drew up their own criteria for deciding who got on a war memorial. I'm hoping we can get his name on the bottom as there's room.

There is a book available on the Internet Archive titled Crime and Authority in Victorian England, but I have not delved in to it.

Yes, Lyn, he was killed on the first full day of the war. An Engineer's Writer - so in the engine room when the ship sank. (I think he was a clerk - Stoker Second Class) Poor lad. From reading round local communities drew up their own criteria for deciding who got on a war memorial. I'm hoping we can get his name on the bottom as there's room.
oh i do hope so stokkie as young as he was he tried to make good his life after a bad start...please keep us informed

lyn

and to make it worse on the 1901 harold is 5 his sister 8 living with widowed mom who was probably doing her best to keep her family together...not having a fathers influence would not have been good

lyn

and to make it worse on the 1901 harold is 5 his sister 8 living with widowed mom who was probably doing her best to keep her family together...not having a fathers influence would not have been good

lyn
Sad, I'll dig deeper in the Liverpool newspapers. British Legion drew our attention to Harold's obituary and implied that his mom ran what the papers used to call a disorderly house. So a tough start in life if so. But I'll see if she appears in the papers or has any convictions.

Harold's Mother appears in The Liverpool Daily Post as the wife of a bigamist. They go through the form of marriage in Jan 1905 (she is pregnant and disclosed in the newspaper report so is her 16 year old daughter, Harold's sister by the same man). A tough family background for Harold indeed. Bigamy trial was July 1909.

1675182655765.png

Last edited:
Apparently there was a mass breakout from the Stoke Prior reformatory

A SPECTACULAR break-out by more than 60 wayward teenage boys from a Worcestershire reformatory naturally captured the headlines in Berrow's Journal this week exactly a century ago.
"Revolt by Stoke Reformatory Boys" was the banner headline above the report which explained: "On Monday night, Police Superintendent Pitt of the Bromsgrove Division received a telegram from Mr James Campbell, Head of the Stoke Prior Farm Reformatory, stating that more than 60 of the inmates of the institution had escaped.

"The break-out occurred at dusk, the boys making their dash for liberty as they were being brought back from working on the land.
"Supt Pitt at once sent out every available constable to scour the neighbouring country, and within a short time 10 of the runaways had been arrested close to Bromsgrove.
"In custody, one of the oldest of the youths, named Thomas Edwards, slashed out at two constables with a large pruning knife, completely cutting through their coats and grazing their arms.
Rioters
"Later the same night, Bromsgrove police arrested four more youths, while Kidderminster police secured a further two. At Droitwich, the police kept a sharp look out, and captured six of the rioters.
"The Stoke Prior Reformatory accommodates 80 boys, which means that nearly the whole strength participated in the riot. The head and staff state that the break-out came as quite a surprise as the boys appeared to be happy and contented, and nothing was noticed until 6
o' clock on Monday night when the signal was given by the ringleaders to 'Come on' - and practically the whole school went with a rush, the officers being powerless to check the outburst.
"Stoke Reformatory was founded by the late Mr Joseph Sturge in 1853, and this is the most serious break-out of its kind in the history of the institution. The ages of the inmates range from 12 to 18, and for the most part they come from the slums of cities, nearly all having more than one conviction against them. The last out-break by just 15 boys occurred in 1898 when ricks were set ablaze. At the time of going to press, 48 of the escapees had been re-captured and returned to the reformatory.
"On Tuesday, the institution's Committee of Management met under its chairman Sir Harry Foley Vernon and agreed the necessary punishments which the officers are to be allowed to mete out to the juvenile rebels.

I know a bit about Victorian crime and punishment. Can anyone suggest ways of researching a reformatory and its inmates. Am I correct in assuming they would have committed crimes to be sent there? Harold Waller born Liverpool 9 Sept 1895 was sent to Stoke Farm Reformatory and discharged Nov 1913. He enlisted in the Navy, but died 6 Aug 1914 when HMS Amphion struck a mine. He is not shown on the village war memorial, but appears on Plymouth Naval Memorial. Bromsgrove Messenger published an obituary. Could he have been excluded from the memorial because he was 'not of good character' and or not born locally? Also I've been unable to find anything about his offences or sentencing - via Ancestry. Advice welcome and suggestions for reading on the Reformatory system.
Not sure if you have read this article

Apparently there was a mass breakout from the Stoke Prior reformatory

A SPECTACULAR break-out by more than 60 wayward teenage boys from a Worcestershire reformatory naturally captured the headlines in Berrow's Journal this week exactly a century ago.
"Revolt by Stoke Reformatory Boys" was the banner headline above the report which explained: "On Monday night, Police Superintendent Pitt of the Bromsgrove Division received a telegram from Mr James Campbell, Head of the Stoke Prior Farm Reformatory, stating that more than 60 of the inmates of the institution had escaped.

"The break-out occurred at dusk, the boys making their dash for liberty as they were being brought back from working on the land.
"Supt Pitt at once sent out every available constable to scour the neighbouring country, and within a short time 10 of the runaways had been arrested close to Bromsgrove.
"In custody, one of the oldest of the youths, named Thomas Edwards, slashed out at two constables with a large pruning knife, completely cutting through their coats and grazing their arms.
Rioters
"Later the same night, Bromsgrove police arrested four more youths, while Kidderminster police secured a further two. At Droitwich, the police kept a sharp look out, and captured six of the rioters.
"The Stoke Prior Reformatory accommodates 80 boys, which means that nearly the whole strength participated in the riot. The head and staff state that the break-out came as quite a surprise as the boys appeared to be happy and contented, and nothing was noticed until 6
o' clock on Monday night when the signal was given by the ringleaders to 'Come on' - and practically the whole school went with a rush, the officers being powerless to check the outburst.
"Stoke Reformatory was founded by the late Mr Joseph Sturge in 1853, and this is the most serious break-out of its kind in the history of the institution. The ages of the inmates range from 12 to 18, and for the most part they come from the slums of cities, nearly all having more than one conviction against them. The last out-break by just 15 boys occurred in 1898 when ricks were set ablaze. At the time of going to press, 48 of the escapees had been re-captured and returned to the reformatory.
"On Tuesday, the institution's Committee of Management met under its chairman Sir Harry Foley Vernon and agreed the necessary punishments which the officers are to be allowed to mete out to the juvenile rebels.

Thanks Izzy. The inmates did a lot of horticulture and agriculture on 70 acres, and in the early years there were lots of absconders but this was the mass break-out.

Stokkie, I could be very wrong about this but I’m not sure about committing a crime ( need timely definition) but I went to school with fellows who were sent to reform school because for the most part we’re non compliant, always getting into trouble and such. You might research if possible where he was before reform school.

Stokkie, I could be very wrong about this but I’m not sure about committing a crime ( need timely definition) but I went to school with fellows who were sent to reform school because for the most part we’re non compliant, always getting into trouble and such. You might research if possible where he was before reform school.
Thanks Richard, I think Victorian Reformatories were before Borstal and Approved Schools and an alternative to prison for boys and young men 5-18. This one was a working farm, but the inmates were not free to leave. Some were there 'on licence' which suggests they might be recalled to prison if they re-offended. Of course petty theft could lead to prison or transportation in the early times. I don't think mere anti-social behaviour would get you sent there? (Not before WW1 in any case). But I have 3 boxes of papers at Worcester to look at potentially. Thanks for this suggestion though.

Thanks Richard, I think Victorian Reformatories were before Borstal and Approved Schools and an alternative to prison for boys and young men 5-18. This one was a working farm, but the inmates were not free to leave. Some were there 'on licence' which suggests they might be recalled to prison if they re-offended. Of course petty theft could lead to prison or transportation in the early times. I don't think mere anti-social behaviour would get you sent there? (Not before WW1 in any case). But I have 3 boxes of papers at Worcester to look at potentially. Thanks for this suggestion though.
Stokkie, thank you for that clarification! Certainly before my time, good luck sorting through those boxes!

Harold's Mother appears in The Liverpool Daily Post as the wife of a bigamist. They go through the form of marriage in Jan 1905 (she is pregnant and disclosed in the newspaper report so is her 16 year old daughter, Harold's sister by the same man). A tough family background for Harold indeed. Bigamy trial was July 1909.

View attachment 177712
hi stokkie i cant enlarge that article..my eyes are not what they were :rolleyes: ...

lyn

thanks mike what a sad tale...however children are not responsible for parents actions so i do hope young harold is recognised on the village memorial

lyn

thanks mike what a sad tale...however children are not responsible for parents actions so i do hope young harold is recognised on the village memorial

lyn
Thanks for making this readable, Mike. I agree Lyn. I'm wondering if other young men from the reformatory have been omitted too. Harold's relatively unusual name made it easy to find him in records and the newspaper. I hope the locals want him on the memorial as well. Derek

Back