• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Reform rally - what building?

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This aquatint shows the 1819 Reform Rally in Birmingham. Anyone know the building? Here are a few details about the print. Been trying to work out what 'Ent. Sta. Hall' means, but no idea. Maybe 'Entrance', and surely not 'Station' ? Viv.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384969880.415872.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384969880.415872.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 36
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384969906.770749.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384969906.770749.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 16
Thanks Jennyann. Seems then that Newhall Hill was not only the site of the Reform Rally of July 1819 to elect Charles Wolesley as legislatorial attorney (and to demand his seat in Parliament) but was later that year, in September, the site of a demo about the Peterloo massacre. And the demonstrators went armed expecting trouble. So I'm thinking the building must have had some significance. If I'm reading this correctly, New Hall wasn't on that hill (sounds like it was surrounded by sandpits), so wondering whose house it actually was. Or am I missing something here? Maybe it was Sir Charles Wolesley's house. I think this is a very interesting period in Birmingham history. Viv.

Back