• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Quinton buildings

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have received a request from a member, :
Hi Mike,

I am interested in finding out some more about the Quinton Buildings on Ledsum Street. My great great grandfather was living there on the 1861 census. The address is the back of 223 Ledsum Street. I saw that you have an old map of the area. Is there anything you can tell me about it?.

The numbering given seemed rather confusing, as no directory of the period went above numbering no 186. Numbering of the street changed in the 1880s from consecutive (1,2,3...) to odd one side, even the other, so present numbering would not be relevant. However newspaper references showed that the buildings were in the 1940s behind, 179.181,183 Ledsum St., between Monument /road and Ledsum St. Teh two maps below , from c1889 and c1950 show they were still there in the 1950s, though by the 1950s two of the buildings had been removed .

map 1950s showing Quinton buildings.jpgmap c1889 showing Quinton Buildings Ledsum st..jpg

Apparently the buildings were also known as "the Shipyard" for some unknown reason.
Birm Gazette. 1.4.1912. quinton buildings.jpg

In 1942 the buidlings were sold as a lot

B.Post.10.4.1942, Quinton buildings.jpg

I have received a request from a member, :
Hi Mike,

I am interested in finding out some more about the Quinton Buildings on Ledsum Street. My great great grandfather was living there on the 1861 census. The address is the back of 223 Ledsum Street. I saw that you have an old map of the area. Is there anything you can tell me about it?.

The numbering given seemed rather confusing, as no directory of the period went above numbering no 186. Numbering of the street changed in the 1880s from consecutive (1,2,3...) to odd one side, even the other, so present numbering would not be relevant. However newspaper references showed that the buildings were in the 1940s behind, 179.181,183 Ledsum St., between Monument /road and Ledsum St. Teh two maps below , from c1889 and c1950 show they were still there in the 1950s, though by the 1950s two of the buildings had been removed .

View attachment 168754View attachment 168755

Apparently the buildings were also known as "the Shipyard" for some unknown reason.
View attachment 168756

In 1942 the buidlings were sold as a lot

View attachment 168757
I have just found out my Great Grandparents lived in No 8 Quinton Buildings in 1911. Sounds like it was an awful place to live.

Back