• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Queen Victoria,

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi Guys,
The oldest Statue is the Queen Victoria, unveiled on11th January 1901 Just Eleven days before she died, at that time the Square was actually
Called Council House Square and was renamed in Honour of the late monarch on the 7th February 1901
The statue is not the original 1901 version, which was made of marble and deteriorated owing to air pollution in1951 as Part of the Festival of Britain
Celebrations it was recast in Bronze and unveiled on the 9th of June1951. Vicky was removed to a works in Telford and given a brush down to remove
Forty years of pigeon,droppings she was returned in time for the Square,s reopening in1993.
Astonian,,,,,

Hi paul
Nice to hear from you again yes we also had it Hammered down us by our teacher about her and I also went into the town to study her
When I was young as I only lived down the road from the town and the council house so I walked up one Saturday morning to seek her outdo you know all my life I have never Been into that town hall but I have been in the big house the council house area times its amazeing when you get in and look around
My first encounter was when I came out of the forces and as an old friend of mine whom served in the forces along with me came out first
And he got a job in the place as a security he told me to come down and work there when I was discharged from the forces three months later after he came out
But I had the pleasure years later many times by the way many thanks for your wishes at the moment I am holding up under circumstances
Still I am a true grit brummy tough as old boots through and through take care paul look after your self and keep those posting coming through
As I follow your threads best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,

Hi paul
Nice to hear from you again yes we also had it Hammered down us by our teacher about her and I also went into the town to study her
When I was young as I only lived down the road from the town and the council house so I walked up one Saturday morning to seek her outdo you know all my life I have never Been into that town hall but I have been in the big house the council house area times its amazeing when you get in and look around
My first encounter was when I came out of the forces and as an old friend of mine whom served in the forces along with me came out first
And he got a job in the place as a security he told me to come down and work there when I was discharged from the forces three months later after he came out
But I had the pleasure years later many times by the way many thanks for your wishes at the moment I am holding up under circumstances
Still I am a true grit brummy tough as old boots through and through take care paul look after your self and keep those posting coming through
As I follow your threads best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,,,

In 1951 the statue was unveiled by Princess Elizabeth. (Gosh for a minute Astonian I thought you were referring to the big house at Winson Green!)

Back