• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pype Hayes Park

M

mazbeth

Does anyone know anything about 'the house' in Pype Hayes Park.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the house is Pype Hayes Hall. Just found Saturday's Mail, Carl Chinn has written an article on the district of Pype Hayes.

"The Bagots, recalled in the Bagot pub, made their home at the newly built Pype Hayes Hall (sometimes known as Pype Hayes House) which dates from the first half of the 17th century. Known as the house of the 13 gables, in the early 19th century Pype Hayes Hall was owned by the Rev. Walter Bagot. In 1919 the trustees of the Bagot family sold both it and 76 acres of the estate for .£10,000 to Birmingham Corporation. The house became a convalescent home and later a children's residential nursery whilst the grounds were enlarged in 1928 by the purchase of the remainder of the estate for .£3,0l6 to make a 113 acre recreation ground."

The only memory I have of Pype Hayes Park was going there with my mate Terry Birch (no relative I believe) and his mum in 1944. I put my foot right in a wasp's nest and we picked loads of dock leaves to cut down the stinging.
Since then, though, I have never been afraid of wasps, and leave them alone, expecting they will do the same to me, which they have done for the last 62 years.
Peter

I hung around all the local parks but Pype Hayes was one that I did in my preteens and mid teens although I had been taken there by my parents and also the lady whose baby I used to walk as her husband played cricket there quite often so she invited me along to take care of the baby while she watched him play. I remember the small shop was in part of the Hall and sold Wall's Ice Cream and Vimto.

Later on I took my youngest brother there for "adventure" trips and we would "mine" clay from the small stream in the wetlands area, take it home and make models out of it. It was quite the adventure and you had to have wellies to go through all the marsh areas. We got rather wet if I remember.

At Fentham Girls I had a friend who lived in Hanson's Bridge Road close to the Park. It was a bit of a monkey run for the local boys and I would travel miles on the 28 bus to go there if I could get the bus fare. I met my first boyfriend there when I was l5. It's a lovely park and I had some great times there.

when we came back from being evacuated my Mom used to take me there every day while she was working as a conducteress on the buses my lasting memory of the place was crying every time we got on the tram at Aston X and sheppards pie

I use to play Golf every Saturday morning at Pype Hayes had to queue from 6.00am

I think the house in the background is Pype Hayes Hall.
thankyou for that. I knew nothing about it at all (I know something of 'houses' in other parks but not that)

jennyann said:
I remember the small shop was in part of the Hall and sold Wall's Ice Cream and Vimto.
now that rings a bell...

Hi Alf,
Happy days!!!!!!!!!! at Pype hayes park. Sorry to,say he prefabs are long gone, shame really you should see the ones off Gressell Lane, Tile Cross they have all had brick shells put around them, they look fantastic............ I'd give my right arm for one lol.

Re: Pype Hayes Park - Replacing a few photos

Pype Hayes Park - Photos from Postcards
#1 - Pype Hayes Park - Shelter
Pype Hayes Park (1).jpg
#2 - Pype Hayes Park - Lake
Pype Hayes Park (2).jpg
#3 - Pype Hayes Park - Lake
Pype Hayes Park (3).jpg
#4 - Pype Hayes Park - Lake
Pype Hayes Park (4).jpg

Last edited:

Happy summer days, my aunt lived in Hansons Bridge Rd and my summers were spent over in PHP with my elder cousin and her friends. They used to play a trick whereby they'd pretend to push someone in the brook but grab hold of them at the last minute but I didn't realise that and pushed one of the girls in the brook much to her disgust as she was on the lookout for boys hehe. I was sent home in disgrace. Later on we moved to Cleeve House in Bromford Lane and I went to Paget Rd school and spent many a happy day in the park where we all used to meet up at the Cafe and pig out on walls ice cream. Ah the memories.

Two thanks for the photo's. You do have a lovely collection. My aunt lived in Hervy Grove and we used to take her dog for a walk in the park. My cousins daughter lives there now and walks her dog there everyday before going on duty as a police officer. Jean.

Hi there, do you have any other old black & white postcards of Pype Hayes Park? I am looking for one in particular of a young woman pushing a pushchair beside the duck pond/boating lake.

Only taken me 8 1/2 years to spot your post Alf but it brought back some memories for sure. My golfing life started at Pype Hayes, usually straight into the queue on Sunday morning from my Saturday night out - seriously happy days!
The course now boasts a brand spanking new clubhouse would you believe, Birmingham City council having handed over the running to a new operator. You can now book your game online of course - taken all the fun out of it wouldn't you say?!

Only taken me 8 1/2 years to spot your post Alf but it brought back some memories for sure. My golfing life started at Pype Hayes, usually straight into the queue on Sunday morning from my Saturday night out - seriously happy days!
The course now boasts a brand spanking new clubhouse would you believe, Birmingham City council having handed over the running to a new operator. You can now book your game online of course - taken all the fun out of it wouldn't you say?!
Story in the Mail..
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/new-drive-boost-golf-birmingham-6043192

#9 - Pype Hayes Park - Pype Hayes Hall - c1884
#9 - Pype Hayes Hall - 1884.jpg

#10 - Pype Hayes Park - Pype Hayes Hall - c1920
#10 - Pype Hayes Hall - 1920.jpg

#11 - Pype Hayes Park - Pype Hayes Hall - c1938
#11 - Pype Hayes Hall - 1938.jpg

#12 - Pype Hayes Park - Pype Hayes Hall
#12 - Pype Hayes Hall (2).jpg

Last edited:
Pype Hayes park is just across the road from GKN Hardy Spicer, in the days when we did have an hour for lunch the place for a walk around the superbly maintained flower beds, I think it was the base for a team of parks employees that looked after hanging baskets and the like for the area. We also used the crown bowling green and occasionally had after work cricket games. Does the city still have bonfire night firework displays there?

Back