• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pugh Road Aston Birmingham B6 1960s

Maps are easier than photos, don't remember seeing many if any. These maps are from 1950 (Pugh Road in two halves)...

0 - Pugh Road 1.jpg

0 - Pugh Road 2.jpg

cheers for that all i remember our road was just like coronation st back to back houses and cobble roads

i was 6 years old living in pugh road goodtimes u could leave your back door unlocked without worrying if your house was going to be burgled. its true

we had black and white photo of pugh road the 7 of us standing outside the house in a row smiling for the camera but im not sure what happened to it...... i think it was around 1967

I lived at 3/41 Pugh Road until I was about 5. It was a back to back house and there was a shared courtyard area where the toilets were. I seem to remember we went down a small alley into the communal area. We were in the bottom left corner with the toilet block in the middle.
I remember there were 3 or 4 steps downwards as you entered the house. A very small kitchen was on the right and there was one cold water tap there (only plumbing there was). From thw kitchen there were stairs up to 2 bedrooms.
Mynrother and I shared one and my mother the other.
I remember my mom saying that she got a carpet for our main floor (she was a nurse), within a week it was destroyed as the house flooded - bottom of a slope and built that little bit below ground level.
I remember having friends who lived across the square from us. It was so long ago but I have Aston in my head as their surname. Tracey Aston about my age. Her dad worked in a ball bearing factory.
We were moved out into a maisonette in Newtown around 1970, I dont think I met up with anyone from there again.
I just have little bits and pieces, unfortunately my mother has passed on now.
I just came online tonight to see if there might be any photos of those old back to back courtyards.

Hi Veronica welcome to the forum, this is an aerial view of Pugh Road from 1952.

Attachments

• pugh-rd-aerial-1952.jpg
    pugh-rd-aerial-1952.jpg
    888.8 KB · Views: 9
Back