• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pubs On And Around Unett Street

Rob Derry

master brummie
The Pilgrims Tavern and the Dolphin are two that were definitely there as I have a map that shows them both but my mom is certain that there was one on every corner. Any suggestions as to what the others were called and if there are any photos anywhere?

hi rob from memory the little brown jug corner of unett and gt hampton row (60s pub still there but no longer a pub) and on the other corner of unett and gt hampton row was st georges vaults (demolished) think i have photos of the dolphin and st georges vaults

lyn

Last edited:
It would seem that your Mom is correct, Rob, as far as the inner city areas are concerned.
Of course many families had large families and sometimes they just had to get out from being 'under each others feet' as they say. So the local 'rub a dub dub' (London slang) was a good place to go. Your friends were usually there, the place was warm -particularly in winter - a game of darts, cards or romance (licit or otherwise) so what more could they want.
Younger folks, it seems, ventured further afield to other entertainment venues.
The beer was cheap and had traditionally been considered more hygienic than some water supplies. :eek:
Those were the days before tv, coffee and fast food!! ;)

Back