• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Travellers Rest public house

does anyone remember the name of the pub facing the Astoria picture house in Aston Rd

Richard,
It was The Travellers' Rest. Jennifer Bazeley's dad was the landlord when I was at St. Mary's C of E in Aston in 1954-5. I had a crush on her at that time. I was 10 going on 11 then and had a lot to learn (from school as well!).

Hi Dave & Richard

Although not a resident of Aston so could possibly be wrong but I though the pub opposite the Astoria (the one that became the ATV studio) was the Star Inn on the corner of Yates Rd.

Thats the one Nollie Gorden used to pop into for her G & T when recording Lunchbox in the 50's.

Phil

Aston Star Inn Aston Aston Rd North.jpg

Last edited:
The Star Vaults on the corner of Yates St.was across the road from the Astoria,but the Travellers was opposite.It would have taken less than a minute to stagger from one to the other.:).

Ray

As I said as I am not from Aston I could possibly be wrong, and after looking at some old photos I have to agree with the three of you it was the Travellers Rest that was opposite.

It was just that I had a friend that told me that he often spoke to Nollie Gorden in the Star and I assumed that she would have used the nearest pub.

Phil

hi phil
ray barrett was right it was directly facing the studios
the one you put on thread was the star as correctly the picture displayed
if you had walked about another 100 yrd towards park lane you would have passed it - even thou it was a slightlly larger pub
from the out side it looked a dirty pub and i could not imagine our noelie
popping in there for a sarnie , if any one it would have been yours the star
my old grandad ernie jelf was always in there getting is dinner
with mrs robinson and every day without fail
he would always order a gorganolchese sand wich and a couple of gurkins
for the side plate he was in and out day and night
they was the only pub there that done decent sarnies[ food ]
a couple of years ago on this forum we did have a picture of the travelers rest
best wishes to every body and seanal greeting to youu all
best wishes astonian ''

Saw Kent Walton who used to do the commentary for the wrestling, in there a few times, many moons ago.(The Star)

hi john and phil;ray.
am i right in saying there was a big fancy
resturant next door to the pub
and the bus and tram drivers used to stop and fil up the cans and get sandwiches and then jump back on the road and eat at the ressor turn around before coming back up the lichfield rd towards the city
can you please tell me the name of it thank you
remember thats aston rd north - not lichfield rd
and if possible what was the number of the property
best wishes astonian ;;;;;

Hi John i can't make my mind up if it was the star or the travellers but thanks for the picture.happy memories
Richard,
This photo is to CONVINCE YOU that The Travellers' Rest WAS the pub opposite the Astoria (in this photo it was still The Theatre Royal).
Lyn,
The photo also shows The Civic Restaurant opposite NEXT TO (for Richard) The Travellers' Rest.
The answer to 2 questions in the same photo! The photographer never knew how "important" the picture would be one day.
Right, I'm off to follow the Wolves game on BBC and Sky websites. With Portmouth winning we are now bottom and who will be Burnley's first away win (next home match)? Yes you've guessed it........

The Travellers Rest pub opposite the Astoria Picture House (later to become The ATV Studio) in Aston Road in 1956.
277n4w.jpg

The Travellers Rest (Date unknown)
birmingham_b6_travellersrest.jpg

The Aston Cross Restaurant (Post 26) looks like it might have been - or still was at the time of the photos - a British Restaurant.
Anyone confirm or deny this? :)

yes the aston resturant was still operational at that time annd where the jelfs coffee shop on the corner was where the number 8 bus drivers got there tea caddy refilled up for tea as where the main buses coming from the city along aston road north from tjhe city mainly 64 buses stopped out side there and went in that one for there refills the aston resturant als may i had where the lady is crossing the road facing i was knock down in the sme spot in thhat period on a saturday after non coming of the pic whatchin roy roger and i lived along the road up the terrace next to thompsons the butchers i was in the general hospital for three months best wishes Alan Astonian;;;

Back