• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pub 79/80 Coleshill Street

jdknole

proper brummie kid
Old maps of Coleshill Street show a public house at about what later became a post office at number 79/80. I'm guessing that the change took place during the 1930's. Anyone know anything of this pub and what its history was?
Map modified to show pub concerned in red
Coleshill_St_PH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Amendment to above post. Are we looking at the PH near to market street? If so sorry for wrong info.

Thanks jmadone but I don't think so. The pub I'm referring to would have been the other side of Gem Street in the next block.

Apologies, I haven't made it very clear which pub I'm referring to. It is the one marked close to the letter R in STREET, about four buildings in from the junction with Gem Street.

1915 Kelly's has the attached list. Black Lion PH at no. 82

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-27_17-27-35.png
    upload_2018-3-27_17-27-35.png
    124 KB · Views: 10
Difficult to say pjmburns. Later maps show the same building at no 79/80 but the numbering could have changed in the interim.

You didn't mention a year but 1889 map shows the Black Lion labelled. By the 1905 map it is just labelled PH. By the 1937 one the site had been cleared and PH appears on the corner of Gem Street. By the 1952 map there is a machine works on the site and PO appears a couple of doors down. On the second map the red marker is where I clicked on the Black Lion on the 1889 map.
6e6bd6f7-34ac-4354-b1b8-4d494b42a187

5e1d16d9-c976-4aad-a6ac-c233b4121ce6

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-27_22-55-50.png
    upload_2018-3-27_22-55-50.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 20
  • upload_2018-3-27_23-0-35.png
    upload_2018-3-27_23-0-35.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 18
Janice, you are quite right, I had thought the pub was at no 79, but I'd miscalculated, it was at no 82 and must be the Black Lion as you say. My grandmother lived at 2 back 79 and I thought if I could source a photo of the pub it would might also show the entrance to the court. I now think that this is unlikely as the entrance will be further along. Thanks everyone for your help anyway.

Looking at the link in post #2 and the silk picture of the Gaiety, does anyone know what the ornate building to the rear is please? It appears to dwarf the theatre. One thing made me giggle - appearing on the bill was 'Willie Stopit'. Must have been the comedian do you think?

Penny - I have looked at the maps and the 1889 one has a warehouse behind the theatre. Later maps have nothing marked at all.

Yes - I wondered if it was a fancy roof over where the auditorium would be. I tried to look for a photo as opposed to that print but no joy yet.

number 79 marked out and what is most likely 2/79 also marked but cant be certain it was that house...thanks to mike for the map

lyn

coleshill st.jpg

Thanks Lyn and Mike. Yiur annotation on the map confirms exactly where I thought 2/79 to be. The electoral Roll for 1927 has entries for 6 houses at the back of 79 which correspond with the five buildings on the right of the courtyard and one on the left all roughly the same size. I assume the two small structures opposite 3/4 back are outbuildings, washrooms or privies. I wonder what the address of the larger building in front of 1 back would have been?

In cases like this I assume it is probably part of the front business at no 79, but a different building

Back