• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grocers shop in Pritchett Street

jimjay

Brummie babby
Family story about my wife's grandparents having a grocers? shop at no 112 on the corner opposite the Bulls Head. I know my wife's mother was born there in 1917 and her mother ( the grandmother) died there in 1930. Anyone know anything or where I can get moor info?
jim
jimjay

hi jimjay...may need a bit more info ie names of wifes mother and grandmother as someone maybe able to look in the kellys directories for you to confirm the shop..

lyn

In both the 1915 and 1921 editions of Kellys, no 112 is given as a shop run by Frederick Millington

Thanks lyn & mikejee, yes sorry I should have given a name I'm an idiot!! Anyway Frederick Millington is the right name he was a wire worker/ weaver, Maria his wife was the boss according to legend ( no change there then!) and my mother- in -law was Ivy Kathleen Millington.There was a younger daughter May. Can you direct me to where I could get more info on the shop or the people ?

The 1911 census gives them living at 112, with the christian name "Arthur" added in another hand to Frank's name . The images in 1911 were, I understand the householder's who filled in the form, so not clear why or who added the Arthur. Frank is listed as a wire worker, with his wife Maria listed as shopkeeper (general wire work). Also here were daughters Annie (15), & Marie (14) & sons Ernest (6), Albert (4) & Sydney (7 months). Annie worked in the shop, and Marie was learning tailoring. (Arthur) Frank was born in Bristol and was 36, and Maria was 34 and born in Wolverhampton

Thanks for that information. A couple of things - Frank I think is Frederick Arthur Millington, it lines up with the other data I have, they did seem to change names around in those times.
Marie the daughter was known as Cissie all her life even her death certificate is in that name.
Annie I actually knew many years ago also Ernest I met only once (my wedding!) Sydney died shortly after the census I believe but I can't find him yet only a Francis S Millington, still searching.
One odd thing - I have a 1913 map of North Birmingham which lists household names and this shows a Mary Ann Morley shopkeeper living at 112 Pritchett Street. I would like to find any photos of Pritchett Street if possible - any pointers for me?

The Kellys for 1912 - 1921 all have Frank Millington at 112. When you say you have 1913 map with names, do you mean a commercial map or copy of part of a commercial map with names added, or a hand-drawn map. If the former then the source may have merely taken the 1913 map and added the names for when they had knowledge of the occupants, which might have been a different date.

You are absolutely right, in small print on the map (Old Ordnance Survey Maps Birmingham North 1913) it states extracts are from the 1907 Kelly's. Thanks for that - teach me to look a bit closer!!

photos of pritchett st are hard to get jimjay...should be one on the forum somewhere of the bulls head pub...if ifind any i will post them for you...next time i am at the library i will do a search for you...

lyn

Thanks Lyn, That is so kind of you to offer to do a search for when you can - you certainly are a true brummie!! I have a photo of the Bulls Head I was hoping for one of the Millington Shop - very remote I know but you never know.

Back