• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prince research

teamoconnell

Brummie babby
Thomas Prince, born in 1828 in Shropshire, married Emma Taft in 1857 in Birmingham. In 1861 they lived at 59 Cumberland Terrace, then at 10 Cottage Place, Hope Street and Thomas worked as a plasterer. After his death in 1881, they moved to Charles Henry Street and Emma worked as a hawker, which I believe means she sold goods in the street? While I have a subscription for newspapers, the Prince surname is a challenging one to search as nearly all the returns are Prince Thomas, or Prince Charles :D

Are you looking for info on the Prince family? Were his parents John and Sarah, as that seems to be the only baptism I can see in Ludlow.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Yes - that is them! I have basic information from census records; however, as I live in the U.S., I was curious about the area/streets they lived.

Cumberland Terrace was off St Luke's Road (terrace in yellow) and St Luke's Church (marked with red dot) was at the end on the corner of Bristol Road. Just realised Hope Street runs parallel to St Luke's Road so is on the same map. Map from 1887
1701273380940.png

Link to map so you can enlarge it as you want. Cottage Place is marked.
The church existed until 2017 but the land was then sold and the church demolished.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Sorry, I now have another question. As you noted, Thomas and Emma were married at St. Luke's in Birmingham; both reported they lived on Bissell Street, which I located on the maps sent (thank you again!). However, their first child,Thomas, was baptized in 1858 in Ludlow, Shropshire; their next three children are baptized/born in Birmingham (1860 - 1865); then son Charles was born 1868 in Smethwick with the birth registered in Kings Norton. I have Charles birth record but have not located his baptism. Finally, their daughter, Emma's birth was registered in Birmingham, again, I have not found her baptism. Should I be concerned I have the correct family with this moving to and from Birmingham?

First child baptised back at Thomas' s home - not unusual.
Parish boundaries were very different - I would need to look. Does Charles birth cert actually have a Smethwick address?
Will have a look for baptisms later but people didn't always have all children baptised.

Sorry, I now have another question. As you noted, Thomas and Emma were married at St. Luke's in Birmingham; both reported they lived on Bissell Street, which I located on the maps sent (thank you again!). However, their first child,Thomas, was baptized in 1858 in Ludlow, Shropshire; their next three children are baptized/born in Birmingham (1860 - 1865);
Thomas was baptised in St Luke's in 1863.
1701360227162.png
Same place as Elizabeth and John.

Not sure why he was baptised twice???

Although I can see the transcript on Ancestry the original is not thereThanks for that - Interesting.

the 1863 bapt says thomas james prince...the 1858 just thomas...assuming it is the same family maybe the parents wanted to add the name james later on or maybe it was an error on the 1858 bapt...not sure if you are allowed to bapt twice...

lyn

However, their first child,Thomas, was baptized in 1858 in Ludlow, Shropshire; their next three children are baptized/born in Birmingham (1860 - 1865); then son Charles was born 1868 in Smethwick with the birth registered in Kings Norton. I have Charles birth record but have not located his baptism. Finally, their daughter, Emma's birth was registered in Birmingham, again, I have not found her baptism.
I am puzzled - I found Thomas birth reg which was in Ludlow and the two baptisms. His birth is reg as Thomas James which fits the Birmingham baptism.
1701365451118.png
There is a baptism for a John son of Thomas and Emma with Thomas beng a plasterer but I can't find a birth reg for him. Same address as for Thomas's baptism.

1701365509413.png
Elizabeth born 1861 mmn spelt as Tafft again
1701365654620.png

William born 1864 but I haven't found a baptism.
Emma born 1870 again no baptism.

the 1863 bapt says thomas james prince...the 1858 just thomas...assuming it is the same family maybe the parents wanted to add the name james later on or maybe it was an error on the 1858 bapt...not sure if you are allowed to bapt twice...

lyn
Who would know it was twice??

I have answered my own question and it may also explain why John's baptism says "private". I think he was ill and died. Perhaps they just forgot to reg the birth. Burial at St Pauls (no burial ground at St Lukes)
1701366350385.png

Back