• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Postmans huts

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
anyone rem

Once a common feature of rural postal routes in the UK, the humble postman's hut served as a shelter from harsh weather and a place to rest and eat lunch between morning deliveries and the last collection
Rural postmen often had a tough walk of up to 20 miles each day, six days a week and the hut was a halfway stopping place where they could have their lunch and rest. But many also used it as an 'office' for their second job. The poor pay of the postman or postwoman meant many had to subsidise their income by offering services as a cobbler. Boots and shoes could be left at the shed for the postman to repair.
Postmen had to fight hard to be given even this basic facility. The post office came up with the design but it was frequently the postman who had to pay for it to be built - and he or she also had to pay for fuel for the fire. Other rural postmen were offered food and a bed at a farmhouse - again paid for by the kindness of the farmer rather than by the post office.

1689501962827.pngAsterton, Shropshire
1689502454880.png

An interesting snippet of postal history Pete. I don't think I've ever seen one. I wonder if there were any in the more rural outskirts of Birmingham ? Thanks.

Viv

Back