• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Postcards from the war times!

Frank Parker

https://frankparker.website
My Dad's Cousin Nora from Canada kindly sent me some old postcards and entrusted me to take care of them, which I will, with pride! I thought I would share them with everyone.

The first 4 are may be from World War 1 but I am not sure? They were in a frame originally with the photo of my Great Nan and Great Grandad which was from WW1 so I presume the postcards were to?

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16951

Apologies if they are not for then they will in the wrong section but to be honest I wasn't sure what section to post these to?! Anyway they are from the "Hymn" series and made by Bamforth & Co. Entitled "My God, My Father", each one as a verse on it and must of brought a lot of comfort during those troubled times.

The last one is from 1939 and was sent to Nora from her Uncle Thomas, the man in the WW2 photo. Does anyone know who Bonne Annee was?

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16952

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Bluebrummie your not the only one who didn't know what it said, I have a postcard of my nans with the same words on, so thanks from me too Icarus.

This one from world war II in Patestine, sent to his Sutton Coldfield home by my brother in law NORMAN HAMPTON to his wife BABARA (nee BENTON).

Bluebrummie your not the only one who didn't know what it said, I have a postcard of my nans with the same words on, so thanks from me too Icarus.

I thought it might be French but I thought it was Bonnie Annie, her name! lol

Nice card Baron. :)

These are some of the WW I postcards that my mum gave to me just before she passed away. She didn't say a word of explanation, silently she handed them over to me. Her dad, John Sheldon, never came back from WW I and no one in the family knew what had happened to him. I had been searching his grave for years, without much success, here in the North of France and Flanders fields. Then quite by accident while looking through this forum for the WW II awards of my mum's husband, who died at El Alamein, I found a link to WW I. Here I found out that grand dad had survived the carnage that had wiped out most of his regiment with The Kings Own Rifles and had been taken POW and died three days before Christmas 1918. Two of these postcards have Christmas embossed borders and Porte Bonheur means Good Luck.

Graham.

What wonderful postcards and works of art. It truly amazes me when things like this turn up. Love looking at all of them and as you say stitcher would like to look at them too. Jean.

Thanks Keith & Jean, they are very beautiful with vivid colours and of course mean a lot to me. I don't think that they are very rare as I often see them on old market stalls here in Flanders.

Graham.

Back