• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Porter

Helen G

Almost a Brummie
William Porter, son of William John Porter, was 21 in 1907 when he married my Great Grandmother Eleanor Rosa Woodyatt in St Luke's Birmingham. Is the church still standing?

Both William Porter and his father were Tin-plate workers. Can anyone tell me what that means? I think that William John Porter was an employer. (according to the 1901 census)

William Porter and Eleanore appear to have both been living at 119 St Luke's Road, St Luke, Birmingham when they married. Can anyone tell me if that address still exisits?

William appears to have had at least 3 siblings, is there anyone else out there with this family in their tree?

If there is I would love to be able to take William John Porters line further back. According to the 1901 and 1891 William John was born London
? Euston and the name is too common to do further research without a little more info.

Anyway, thanks for reading this
Helen

St Luke's

St Luke's Church, Bristol Road at the junction of former main road but now cul-de sac St Luke's Road, is still there but under threat. All the old housing in the area and the rest of St Luke's Road disappeared in the urban renewals of the 60s.

From https://www.savebritainsheritage.org/main.htm

"This solid late Victorian church by Edward Mansell has the misfortune to be located on a site that has been snaffled up by Tescos (a supermarket chain) with the intention of erecting a food store on the site. These are early days, and indeed it is rather rare for SAVE to have the chance to become involved in cases so early on. The building is not only a well loved local land mark, but it also the only know church to contain the Royal Arms of Edward VII. We expect a masterplan to be produced and put out to public consultation, but we have no idea as to whether this will seek to retain the Church or not. We have therefore written to the DCMS requesting spot listing as a precaution."

Thanks for the photo.

We plan to come up to Brum for our hols in August so that I can track down some of the addresses associated with my family and also places I remember from my teenage years. St Luke's will be high on my list to visit

Thanks again
Helen

William John Porter born 6th june 1863
baptised 29th june 1863 Old Church St. Pancras,London
parents Samuel and Martha

1881 census although age is a couple of years out this would appear to be your family as William called his son after his brother Leonard and they work as Tinmen
Dwelling: 130 Barford St
Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341713 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2982 Folio 101 Page 35
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Samuel PORTER M 56 M Wolverhampton, Stafford, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Tinman And Beerhouse Keeper
Martha PORTER M 52 F Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
Rel: Wife
William PORTER U 16 M London, London, Middlesex, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Tinman
Leonard PORTER 13 M Wolverhampton, Stafford, England
Walter PORTER 11 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Charles NEALE M 28 M Addington, Warwick, England
Rel: Boarder
Occ: Labourer
Emma NEALE M 40 F Birmingham, Warwick, England
Edward NOWS U 40 M Devon, England
Occ: Labourer

William is 5 in 1871 and i think i have found the reason behind the difference in baptism and census
A William John Porter was born in Pancras 1863 and died in September 1863 Pancras the another William John Porter was born in Pancras in 1865.

It seems that Samuel and Martha must have given the next born son the name of the son they had lost in infancy.There is a gap between William and his brother George.

1871 Gooch Street,Birmingham
Samuel Porter 45 Tinplate worker b. Wolverhampton
Martha age 44 b. Shrewsbury shrops.
Albert 17 b. Wolverhampton
Mary 15 b. London
George 14 b. London
William age 5 b. london
Leonard age 3 b. wolverhampton Walter age 6 months b. birmingham

1861 Elstree street,St Pancras
Samuel Porter age 33 b. wolverhampton Tin plate worker
Martha age 32 b. Oswestry
Richard 13 b. Wolverhampton
Samuel 10 b. Wolverhampton
Albert 7,Mary 5,George 3.

In 1851 Samuel,Martha, Richard 3 and Samuel 3 months are lodging in Moor Street,wolverhampton

Your G/g/g/grandmother may be Martha thomas who married Samuel Porter in 1847 Wolverhampton

Last edited:
Thank you so much Alberta, I have always found it difficult to trace this branch back because William Porter is such a common name but you seem to have demolished my brick wall!!

Thanks for taking the time
Helen

Happy New Year to you all. I am searching for my ancestor the late Samuel Porter from Brimingham, his son Nathaniel Porter born 30th June 1739 St. Martins Birmingham Warwickshire married a Ann Roberts from Edgbaston in 1795. Would like anyone familiar with this family to keep in touch. Thanking you all.

Janet:encouragement:

William is 5 in 1871 and i think i have found the reason behind the difference in baptism and census
A William John Porter was born in Pancras 1863 and died in September 1863 Pancras the another William John Porter was born in Pancras in 1865.

It seems that Samuel and Martha must have given the next born son the name of the son they had lost in infancy.There is a gap between William and his brother George.

1871 Gooch Street,Birmingham
Samuel Porter 45 Tinplate worker b. Wolverhampton
Martha age 44 b. Shrewsbury shrops.
Albert 17 b. Wolverhampton
Mary 15 b. London
George 14 b. London
William age 5 b. london
Leonard age 3 b. wolverhampton Walter age 6 months b. birmingham

1861 Elstree street,St Pancras
Samuel Porter age 33 b. wolverhampton Tin plate worker
Martha age 32 b. Oswestry
Richard 13 b. Wolverhampton
Samuel 10 b. Wolverhampton
Albert 7,Mary 5,George 3.

In 1851 Samuel,Martha, Richard 3 and Samuel 3 months are lodging in Moor Street,wolverhampton

Your G/g/g/grandmother may be Martha thomas who married Samuel Porter in 1847 Wolverhampton

I can confirm that the 1847 marriage in Wolverhampton is the correct entry with the bride being named Martha Thomas.

Back