• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

poppy day

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
Thinking of them
Can we choose the option of where we stand
In this we think to be our own free land
Forefathers fought hard so we could have our say
Now the children of our forefathers don’t want to stay
As it been worth it for all those lost folk
When today those in power treat it as a joke
All that blood that ran in to that foreign mud
As they stood and died where they finally stood
Yes they died for the likes of me and you
And those who made it back are now just a few
To all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for you and me
Buy a poppy and wear with pride for everyone to see

Last edited:
john
i'm proud to wear a poppy to repect our brave army .navy.air force.
i have a sticker in the back window of my car.i respect their sacrifices our people are trying to provide in this world.i'm proud to to be british in that respect.
i think national conscription should come back and no matter what colour.religion.race.colour you are .you should serve the country that feeds you.
loyalty begins at home.

Thanks John...My sentiments in your words. I always buy poppies and we take them to the cemetery to put on my father-in-laws grave. He survived the war but many of his mates didn't. That would be WW2.
Too few veterans left and here they have just decided to let them have free parking on Remembrance Day!

A beautiful touching write John - Your plea for remembrance is seen through this poetic story of war - which both your dad and my dad were part of. . . .

When the smoke had settled,
The field was calm and green.
The poppies could tell the story
Of what that day they had seen

Where brave men fought. . . .

Everybody should buy a poppy, even if you can't give much. The symbolism of so may people wearing poppies gives the message to former soldiers that we do still give a damn. . .

I always buy a Poppy,
I can't do many things in life but as for the Poppy, I always make sure I wear one with pride.
Well done John.

We also wear our Poppy's with pride on April 25th ANZAC Day.
I aways keep one for Nov 11th too. However I took this years one all the way from NZ, to put on my Great Uncle Rupert's Memorial at Key Hill as part of my trip in June.

I always wear a poppy for sevicemen and women past and present. As for the people in my family who served, I think of them more often.

Back