• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pop - Drink

I always used to call my Dad by the nick name of Pop and the only time I seem to hear this word now is when my children refere to me by the same name. I now live in Goerdie land and all the children in this part of the world refere to pop as juice.

I always used to call my Dad by the nick name of Pop and the only time I seem to hear this word now is when my children refere to me by the same name. I now live in Goerdie land and all the children in this part of the world refere to pop as juice.

It's still called 'pop' in Morpeth!

What about the 3d deposit that used to be charged on pop bottles?

I grew up in a seaside town and for us kids it was a little industry - just one of several - hunting down the empty bottles that holidaymakers had left on the beach or in the rubbish bins.

Some of the shopkeepers would cough up the deposits willingly but others were a bit "sniffy" - saying that they were only supposed to give you a deposit back if you had bought the bottle in the first place.

Of course you always protested that you had - which got a bit embarassing if you realised the shop didn't even stock that brand!! :D

One thing I do recall was my first taste of Coca Cola when I was about 13 or 14 years old. For years I had seen the "older kids" drinking this exotic stuff and was intrigued what it would taste like. Well I took one mouthful and I HATED it!

Still amazes me when I see little 3 and 4 year olds drinking cans of coke - i.e. how their taste buds can cope with it!!

T

A different sort of lemonade - from a packet. I don’t remember this product. Viv.

8C4F7176-5B9A-4097-AB18-D3B6AD96BCF1.jpeg

Attachments

• 355129CD-8EE5-4CF0-AD23-0021439D310B.jpeg
    355129CD-8EE5-4CF0-AD23-0021439D310B.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 4
A different sort of lemonade - from a packet. I don’t remember this product. Viv.

View attachment 174425
There were a few of these powdered lemonade drinks around in the early 60’s. Birds made one called Apeel. We called it screech, after going for a pee when you have drank a load of it.

Of course, most of it was just tartaric acid and flavouring, so I cannot imagine it had much nutritional value.

There were a few of these powdered lemonade drinks around in the early 60’s. Birds made one called Apeel. We called it screech, after going for a pee when you have drank a load of it.

Of course, most of it was just tartaric acid and flavouring, so I cannot imagine it had much nutritional value.
the hispital gives it you before

View attachment 174425
i do
the hospital gives it you a day before a bowel op:(

“Pop” The word was originated by a British poet in 1812, who wrote, “A new manufacture of a nectar, between soda water and ginger beer, and called 'pop,' because 'pop goes the cork' when it is drawn

Back