• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Police Books

TimothyWF

proper brummie kid
I am travelling down to Birmingham when the new central library opens in September. In the Archives Section I will be researching a Mildred White, the first woman to be attested in England in 1918 who was in the Birmingham City Police Force from 1925 until retirement in 1937. To save me time (I shall only have the one day) I wonder if anyone knows if there are any books on the City Police Force that I could go to directly. I want to pick up any leads that might mention her by name. Her post name from 1925 to 1930 was Female Enquiry Officer at the Central Police Station,Detective Section.

It may be worth trying to view "The Police Review & Parade Gossip organ of the British Constabulary" the one I have covers 1893 the magazine? cover the U K there are a number of mention of Brum it may be worth a search on Google? I suspect that the new library will not have copies, but the London Library may have ?

Policing birmingham by john Reilly, pub by west midland police 1990, does not have her name in the index and a quick look at the pre WW2 section does not seem to mention her, though does mention a 1933 report on the policewomens dept written led by a sergeant Eileen Slevin. Looks like fro this that most of the women pcs were used to monitor country girls coming into town.

Hi, found this in The History of Wiltshire Constabulary
The first female police officer in Wiltshire was employed by Salisbury City
Force in 1918. Miss Florence Mildred White, a former schoolmistress, was
appointed at the age of 45!
Miss White was born at Warminster in December 1873. For eleven years she
was the Senior Language Mistress at the Godolphin School in Salisbury, teaching
French, German and Italian.
In 1917 she decided to leave teaching and join the police. She commenced
training in Bristol and began service in Bath, moving back to Salisbury on 26th
May 1918. Her career there lasted seven years, but regrettably there is little
record of her activities in the City. Many senior local residents remember her
walking the beat in her wide brimmed hat and smart blue uniform.
In May 1925 Miss White moved to Birmingham, where she served with
distinction particularly as a detective. She became the 'Lady Enquiry Officer' and
was later promoted to Inspector. In May 1936 Miss White was awarded a guinea
for her action in a case of false pretences and abortion.
Miss White retired at the age of 63, in May 1937, after being awarded the
King's Jubilee Medal. She died in Bournemouth in 1957.
Her successor at Salisbury was Miss Elsie Mouland,

Back