• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Please someone help!

louloubaby162

knowlegable brummie
I have been trying to trace my nan. When my mom was a little girl her mother left and since then she has never seen or spoke to her and i am trying to find out if i can trace her.

So far i have nothing! What do i do?

This is what i know:
Name: Marjorie Doris Burrows
age on marriage certificate 24 circa 1932.
Residence address on marriage cert 28 Albert Street, Milverton, Leamington Spa.
Father: James Burrows
mother Lily Burrows

other addresses Wimborne Road, Edgbaston.

Can you find out who lived at an address? can you look for divorce records, as my grandad remarried.

Any help would be grately appreciated. This is my last hope.

Thanks Lou x

My mother has a bible given to her when she was christened and it list her mother parents as James and Lily Burrows.

That might be them but i have nothing to go on so i can't be sure.

the problem is I can't find a Marjorie Doris Burrows in the birth indexes no matter how I play arround with the forenames. If she is 24 in 1932 she should be born around 1908 and appear in the 1911 census

Lou
In Kellys there is:
1913-46 Burrows, Arthur J, china dealer 24 Northfield Road
Address not listed in 1912 or 1949, and greengrocer (not Burrows) in 1910
Mike

There is a marriage registration in 1971 for Jozef Gola to June M Tomlinson. Sept Qtr. Birmingham.

I see you have two other threads and you do say you think Marjorie could have been adopted. Reading through the replies on your previous thread I would say this does seem quite possible as there was also a son who was either adopted or a step son.

I can find no record of a birth for Marjorie D Burrows arround 1932, from the previous response I seem to have been wasting my time.

In the case of your Nan this the reply from NORCAP.

If you apply for her birth certificate, you will find out because if she had been adopted it will have the word "adopted" written in the right hand margin.

Kind regards,
Jean

Jean Milsted
Charity leader
AAA-NORCAP
112 Church Road
Wheatley
Oxfordshire
OX33 1LU

View attachment 67984

I have received a further email

Mike,
I have given you the wrong information. You are unlikely to know her original name so you won't be able to apply for her orginal birth certificate - sorry.

If you look up her birth entry in the public records and there is nothing there, that might be because she was adopted and her original name was different from her adopted name.

You could ask the General Register Office if you can apply for her birth certificate or her adoption certificate. They might advise you to apply for both and see what comes back.

I am forwarding a link here to the GRO website for your information, and I have attached some information for descendants of deceased adopted adults.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Kind regards,
Jean

Jean Milsted
Charity leader
AAA-NORCAP
112 Church Road
Wheatley
Oxfordshire
OX33 1LU

01865 875999 X210
www.norcap.org.uk