• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pitt family haymaking in about 1907

lulibell

master brummie
lulibell

Firstly it's the first time i've tried this method of sharing a photo with my friends here. Apologies in advance!

This photo I was able to date through the estimated ages of the two little girls in dark floral dresses ; these are my grandmother and gt aunt.

I'm lucky enough to ID their mother, father and grandmother. The grandmother is Mrs Louisa Pitt (nee Willis born in 1857) .Several of her children are in the photo. I'm not sure if her husband William Pitt, Snr, born 1845 is there.

Interestingly a chap that I've shared photographs with has the same photo!What are the chances of that?

I was rather hoping that another member of this 'family' has this photo also, but this would be unlikely I know, or would like to see it!

I haven't seen too many of these 'agricultural holiday' photos around and hoped that you'd find it interesting or if indeed anyone else has come across similar photos or 'memories'. I'm certain they were all living in Hockley/Handsworth at the time. I like to think that they travelled back to an ancestral area that they had connections to in Herefordshire/Worcestershire but it more likely to be some where a few of stations south of Hockley.
It's a photo on a postcard with 'Photographed and Sold by A & G Colwell, London Road, Worcester.' on the back. The photograph postcard had been inserted into a thin cream greetings card with a drawing of a cottage on the front. This has 'AN XPDOGRAPH BY XPDO LTD., DIDCOT.' on the back.

I hope you'll find this interesting.
Lu

I've been trying to fathom posting photos and could upload using coppermine so I've tried setting up flickr instead and posting it that way!

lulibell

hi there was an extension of this pitt family living in stour street which was around the spring hill area of birmingham
and it was clse to monument rd and cope street which is about 2 miles from the hockley area ; they was middle class compared to the rest of the familysliving in that street and they kept them selves to them selves and they had two boys whom was twins ;as i recall in the fifties the lads was not all that old
and they was welled mannerd and they lived closed to the mosedales and the memory family ;
best wishes astonian;

Thanks Astonian,

This is very interesting.Do you know for sure that they were the same family?
I know there were other Pitt families in Birmingham that may not be connected.
I've just spoken to Mum and she'd not heard of any of our Pitts over there.
Thanks for taking time to tell me about them.
Our extended family as we know and confirmed in the 1911 census are:
Louisa and William Pitt lived in Park Road.
William Jr. and Rosanna lived in North Western Terrace while my gran and siblings were growing up.
Some of Louisa and William's children we know were in Oxhill Road, College Road, Mary Road (Handsworth) between 1911 and living memory.

Lu

6438403021_5d7239e955.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the photo I've been trying to show!
Thanks Bernie for your instructions.

I've got a VE day photo of Mary Road I'd like to share later.
Lu

Thanks Dek
I did all that!!
I've sorted out how to use flickr with Bernie's help, but it may not be the best way, but it works for me.
Lu

I googled the photographer's name and found that he and his family were living at the Worcester address in 1901.

Lu

Pitty I can;t see any Pitt photos, no working links. Heres one from my Pitt ancestors, Belchers Lane Thomas and Charlotte Pitt seated with various kids, William Jack Florence and Beatrice and a couple of local lads and sister in law Nelly Humpage. It was somewhere in belcher's lane, schedule number 79, but doubt that's the street number, just number on the census 1891 if I remember, this would be a couple of years later, before they moved to Handsworth, Junction Rd and my great granddad, Tom Pitt died in 1901.

Attachments

• tom pitt and family .jpeg
    tom pitt and family .jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
While I'm at it here Tom's dad, mum and some brothers. They were based in Bordesley Green making beds, Iron bedsteads, mattresses etc.

woops wrong way round this is the picture that should be above

Attachments

• 000 pitt thom smaller file.jpg
    000 pitt thom smaller file.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Nice photos. I assume you know that Belchers Lane of 1890ish is not the same as today?

Some of the properties listed close to your Pitt ancestors, Providence Place are still standing, on Bordesley Green (road) between Blake Lane and Blakeland St. So possibly yours are the houses the other side of Blakeland St on the 1890 map.

Nice photos. I assume you know that Belchers Lane of 1890ish is not the same as today?

Some of the properties listed close to your Pitt ancestors, Providence Place are still standing, on Bordesley Green (road) between Blake Lane and Blakeland St. So possibly yours are the houses the other side of Blakeland St on the 1890 map.
Well that's interesting, they were in Bath place, two brothers and families next to each other. I'm not living there now but randomly was living in Hob Moor Rd before I knew about this lot living in Little Bromford, or where that was. I'll have to find a Victorian Map, or a very old PC with very old street view, going back to 1891, I wish I could!

I'll have to find a Victorian Map, or a very old PC with very old street view, going back to 1891, I wish I could!

Here's a map from 1890. Green dot and line mark Providence Place, purple line possibly where Bath Place was. A link follows to Google Streetview of Providence Place...

0 - Bath Place.jpg

Here's a map from 1890. Green dot and line mark Providence Place, purple line possibly where Bath Place was. A link follows to Google Streetview of Providence Place...

View attachment 184189

Well no wonder I couldn't find! Now Ive got it, they used to live on Bordesley Green Road, I actually found the Bath Place plaque on the wall between the houses where they used to live, and its a little walk from Blake Lane where the factory/house was where the old man and his wife were living and working. And I did all that sitting on my couch with streetview as I live in Telford now.

Thanks so much!

Back