• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Piggot Street

If you have set your preferences to not receive messages then the only option is to contact via email. Lesley if you weren't born prior to 1940 you have no excuses

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

hellobernard i wasn.t aware that i had set a preference not to recieve messages and no i was not born prior to being born before 1940 if your referring to a query i posted to the team regarding a neighbour i was merely asking was it probable he no longer used this site and or could that person now be using a sudanam name that u may have been aware of and felt it polite to inquire as i did try emailing but didnt k
think it got through

Hi all did anyone live in and around Pigott street in the 50s who also went to Pigott street school around 1953.

image.jpeg An old map of Pigott street and near by streets. It shows Pigott street school as a block half way down opp the junction with Latimer street.

Hi Steve, I was in the same class as you at Play
Hi Steve, my name was Elaine Worton and I was in your class at Pigott street school. I Remember you along with, Roy Lambert, Alec Atkins, John Freeman, David Durrell, Garfield Jones. The girls were, Patsy Rose, Susan McKenzie, Margaret Mitchell ( she had 22 brothers &sisters) Dorothy Pratt, Eileen West, Janet Checkley, Rita Frost. There are a few more. I was very good at art and lived in Ridley Street off Granville Street. The first few years I was quite happy there, until Miss Ginger nut Cain, who always wore a bright green overall buttoned to her kneck, made my life hell. Look forward to hear from you. Elaine

Hi Steve, my name was Elaine Worton and I was in your class at Pigott street school. I Remember you along with, Roy Lambert, Alec Atkins, John Freeman, David Durrell, Garfield Jones. The girls were, Patsy Rose, Susan McKenzie, Margaret Mitchell ( she had 22 brothers &sisters) Dorothy Pratt, Eileen West, Janet Checkley, Rita Frost. There are a few more. I was very good at art and lived in Ridley Street off Granville Street. The first few years I was quite happy there, until Miss Ginger nut Cain, who always wore a bright green overall buttoned to her kneck, made my life hell. Look forward to hear from you. Elaine

Hi, Elaine I don't remember you being in my class along with some of the other names you mentioned, it seems a very long time ago but when you think it is. Roy was my best mate, Sue and Janet and John Freeman I remember but the rest are vague. My photo was taken last year in Spain so I wouldn't think you recognise me. Thank for replying, take care Steve.

Hi Elaine, a few years ago when we were living in Spain I got a message on SKYPE and it was from Susan McKenzie, she went on to tell me how well her and husband were doing living in Australia, I think she said he was a builder, I remembered her because she had long blonde gingerish hair, one day she came to school with her hair in Platts I made a comment about it to her and she fetched her mom up to school to tell me off but I somehow avoided her so I got away with it.
I have two brothers Terry who is 18 months younger and John who was born at 3/21 Pigott street which was our home for around seven or eight years.
I did like living in town and still miss it apart from not having to go up the yard to go to the loo, which I hated because of the spiders, I rarely spent longer than 15 seconds in there, my dad once said I was the fastest in town. Speak soon Steve.

My mom, me and brother John also my dad, my grandad, and my great grandad and last of all me.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 14

Hi Steve, thanks for replying to my post to you. I really remember you. I think you had dark hair then. Roy Lambert was very clever and I remember Mr Shirley being upset, when Roy told him that he was not sitting for the 11 plus. I often wonder how he got on. I did not go to St Thomases because we were rehoused to Northfield. On my first day at secondary school, the teacher asked everyone which primary schools we had attended. Most were local except me. I told them ,"Pigott Street". They all laughed at me. The next time a teacher asked, I said Bath Row and the next time I kept quiet. It is amazing how such little things you remember. I remember Mr Rumble, saying he never told his friends which school he taught at. Clearly he thought Pigott Street was beneath him. Looking back, although we lived in a brand new house, with a bathroom and garden, in Northfield. I was much happier living in Ridley Street. Some of the neighbours looked down on us for quite sometime. Although they came from similar back grounds, because they were there before us, they presumed that they were superior in some way or other. I was fortunate to go to a good secondary school called Ilmington Road. The art teacher took an interest in me because I could draw. I went on to to get O and A level art and lead me to have a career in art. I still draw now . Pleased you are looking well and it is great to find someone from Pigott Street. Regards Elaine.

As there are two Piggot Street threads I have merged the two together in this one thread. Note early images were lost on this thread if anyone has these please shout. Many thanks.

Welcome Elaine. Good to hear your memories. Enjoy the forum.

Smashing photos Steve. Thanks for posting.

Viv.

Hi Steve, thanks for replying to my post to you. I really remember you. I think you had dark hair then. Roy Lambert was very clever and I remember Mr Shirley being upset, when Roy told him that he was not sitting for the 11 plus. I often wonder how he got on. I did not go to St Thomases because we were rehoused to Northfield. On my first day at secondary school, the teacher asked everyone which primary schools we had attended. Most were local except me. I told them ,"Pigott Street". They all laughed at me. The next time a teacher asked, I said Bath Row and the next time I kept quiet. It is amazing how such little things you remember. I remember Mr Rumble, saying he never told his friends which school he taught at. Clearly he thought Pigott Street was beneath him. Looking back, although we lived in a brand new house, with a bathroom and garden, in Northfield. I was much happier living in Ridley Street. Some of the neighbours looked down on us for quite sometime. Although they came from similar back grounds, because they were there before us, they presumed that they were superior in some way or other. I was fortunate to go to a good secondary school called Ilmington Road. The art teacher took an interest in me because I could draw. I went on to to get O and A level art and lead me to have a career in art. I still draw now . Pleased you are looking well and it is great to find someone from Pigott Street. Regards Elaine.
Hi Elaine, can you remind me, where did you live? I seemed to have forgot. Regards Steve.

steve we were next door neighbours in pigott st my name then was lesley dawson we lived 2/20 then moved further up the yard to 4/21 then the hogans were your next door neighbours you may remember my younger brother roger he would be around your age then me tony and peter who sadly died i recall all the peaple you mentioned and remember so many more please if you will please get back to me lesley
Hi Lesley, can i ask you a question, did you know my friend John Bird who worked at Ansells.

Hi all, I am trying to find anyone who lived in and around Piggot street in the 50s. I attended Piggot street school then St Thomas's on the corner of Granville street.

Hi Elaine, not sure if I replied to you, but your right when we moved from Piggot street to Stirchley on the back of my uncle's coal lorry (which incidentally he owned plus another), a boy who lived two doors away who became my mate, said to me years later, we knew even before you arrived in such style that you were from the slums of Birmingham. How they found that out I don't know. He became my lifelong friend and my best man, three years ago he died and i couldn't attend his funeral. PS. I CANT REMEMBER HOW WE SPELT OUR STREET. with the Gs and Ts. Take care steve.

Hi Elaine, just noticed where you moved to. Northfields. I worked behind the bar at the Black Horse in 1966/67, I used to work the upstairs bar Thursday and Saturday night dance, being as we are the same age perhaps you used to attend?

Hi
Wow the photo is fantastic and has bought lots of memories flooding back for ny Mom. Her Grandmother Polly Cowley lived at 50 Piggot Street, 2 doors away from the school the even numbers were on the same side as Lambs.
Hope this helps
Hello tattyhead35,
Am looking for relatives of Jason Mitchell Cowley, a middle aged friend of mine currently living in a care home in Weoley Castle, South B'ham. whose mother was Winifred Rose Cowley, one of a family of four born to Hubert and Mary Cowley, who all lived at 50 Piggot St, Lea Bank.
Winifred was born on October 2nd. 1929 and died October 1985 in Lichfield, Staffs. aged 56.
Known to be in residence at Piggot St. Sept. 1939
Winifred's siblings were Violet, b1923, Edna, b1925, and Robert b1932
Any info that you may have would be very much appreciated

Last edited:
hi TOG and welcome...tattyheads last post was in 2009 and is now only a guest on the forum so unless he rejoins he will not be able to reply to you

also we do advise members not to post their email addresses on open forum as it could leave you open to spammers and having your account hacked...if you do want to remove it from your post just hit the edit button and edit it out...

enjoy the forum

lyn

Back