• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Piggot Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
nice pic this....looking down piggot st from the old acci hospital..i must say these houses do not exactly look in ruins...if memory serves me correct there is a member researching the name lamb...thats the name above the corner shop...never know..it may mean something....

astoness

pic courtesy of carl chinn birm lives

The picture was taken after 1956, as, although the name on the nameboard directly above the door says E.H.Lamb, the higher, newer one says A.E & L Lamb. It was still E.H in 1956 but A.E in 1964
Mike

Lyn you are lucky that Carl has given you permission to copy his photo's from his mags and books for the forum members to look at. Jean.

thanks for that mike....

jean...yes i agree i am very lucky that carl has given me permission to post pics on the forum but as i have said on many occasions when i put courtesy of carl chinn birm lives that is the website i get them from....anyone can look at them...its a great site and updating all the time.... if you havnt already had a look just google it and give it a try.....

lyn

Lyn should rephrase what I said. The people on the forum are lucky to be able to look at these lovely photo's and you're doing the work. Will take a look at that thread. Jean.

hi jean..it really is well worth while...just type in the name of the road..st etc that you are looking for in the search box and if any pics are available they come up...also there are written memories and all manor of things..i am always flitting on and off it as one day the pic you are looking for may not be there but the next day it might such is the speed of the updating and adding pics etc....

lyn....

Going to give it a go later as there are two streets roads in particular I want to search for. Thanks. Jean.

ok jean..and dont forget...dont give up if they are not there first off...have a search every day or so.....

catch you later..

lyn

Hello Astoness thankyou once again for an amazing photo of Pigott st,the memories flood back.I have been thinking about the comments you made concerning the condition of the buildings and have often thought that not all of the so called slums ,should have been demolished.London is still full of the most beautiful buildings,I wonder if Brum could have been preserved ,especially places like the old library and fountain,especially as the 'new' library is hideous beyond description.Perhaps it was cheaper and the fact that Brum and other towns come second to London. Mary

I had relatives living in Piggot Street in the 40/50s, the Begley's and Charlton's living in the courtyard behind number 24, does anyone know if the even numbers are on the left of the image, or the right (Newsagents side)?

A really brilliant photograph, such a shame the whole lot of houses and streets on the one side of Lee Bank were razed to the ground.

Dibs

hi all. glad you liked the pic...dibb i am sure someone will work out which side the odds and evens were on....i have a 56 kellys but havnt got it here at the moment..

astoness

Dibs,
Judging from the 1940 directory the numbering was continuous, starting from the eastern side at the bath row end (on your left in the photo), and then coming back up on the western side.
mike

Cheers for that information Mike, great help, nice to know your close relatives lived in that one street, and used all the shops shewn.

Many thanks.

Ray

Hi
Wow the photo is fantastic and has bought lots of memories flooding back for ny Mom. Her Grandmother Polly Cowley lived at 50 Piggot Street, 2 doors away from the school the even numbers were on the same side as Lambs.
Hope this helps

what a great pic, i went to piggott st school, i remember the first day at school, i cried my eyes out, happy days

re:pigott Street
My family lived at 44 Pigott St just on the Corner of Owen Street. I thiunk most people knew the Tosh's also Polly Cowley must have lived close to the Vales I was living at Pigott St when Malcolm Vale was killed in a bicycle accident.

Bill Marks

Re:pigott Street

Great memories lived on corner of owen st in the 50's . Hetty Tosh was my mother had 3 brothers and 4 sisters. We could play out all day mostly up the country roads of Pakenham and elvetham. I am sure everyone remembers the bottom of Pigott St with the shops-Strange the veg shop thge post office hairdressers and paper shop. Gazeys on the bottom left of picture etc.

Hi all, our family lived at 3/21 piggot street for nine years, my younger brother was born there, we attended Piggot street school which was opposite our entry. I went on to attend St Thomas's for a few months till we moved to Stirchley. I liked living in the town but didn't like the name we were branded with, (slum clearance) as if we were lower class people. If anyone lived in the area between 1953 and 1962 you are welcome to contact me. Regards Steve Hanson.

Back