• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Picture restoring

Hughes

master brummie
I have a photo of my mother taken about 1928 with her dog Bonzo.She was Sarah Elizabeth Hughes(Jones) b 1901 in cotteridge
Its very dark can it be brightened up?
Regards
John Hughes05-28-2007 02;33;24PM.jpg

My effort, though I'm sure others can do better

05-28-2007_023B333B24PMa.jpg

Help, I've got brain freeze. I have a picture of my father which I hope someone could help and restore but I can't remember how to put a picture on here.

Chris

Can someone please restore these pictures of my fatherimg20150225_21463329.jpg30th Jan 1945.jpgThanks for the help ( I still had to get help from my son) Chris

I recently sent the attached picture to a restorer and was very disappointed with the finished article. Is there anything anyone can do to enhance any of it please? The restoration company completely blanked out the background and just touched up the chaps face which didn't help at all. It's a tinplate photo which I found with many others when Mom died and I'm trying desperately to put names to faces. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I do realise that it's in a poor state.

21c.jpg

Lady P, Ill have a go at this shortly, however you have posted a small image. It is not possible to restore image information if its not there, so could you rescan it at a higher resolution 300/400dpi please.

Lady P, just thinking of what you said about this picture being tin plate. Is it tin or copper, because if copper it may be a Daguerreotype image, quite valuable in its own right if so.

Hi Morturn,

Definitely tin - I've just tried it with a magnet. I think it's probably one of those taken at the seaside in a booth.

Sorry to appear dim but I scanned this into the PC in the ordinary way. How would I comply with your initial request to scan it at a higher resolution?

Thanks, I'm now going back to look at the image you posted.

Thanks for the improved image Morturn but it doesn't really tell me anything. I shall keep looking at it though. The trouble is that nothing in the album is marked and although I can guess at some of them others are destined to remain a mystery. Some time ago I found a tiny glass (reverse) image embellished on the surface with gold on the belt, earrings and brooch. I had it enlarged and it's as clear as if it was taken today but I don't know who it is! So frustrating. I know it's one of mine as it looks like my Auntie Dolly but it's 50 years too early.

I cannot thank you enough, to even fill in the missing corner - it's wonderful - I cannot believe how brilliant it is. THANK YOU!!!!

my Best Wishes
Chris

Again with this 2nd picture a massive thank you! I have just sent for my dad's service records, I know it will take months, but this will be a great picture to put with them with his cap badge and no creases. Thank you for your help I am delighted, best wishes, Chris

Scaning DPI.JPGIt may look slightly different on your computer, but your looking for 'resolution' and a DPI setting of 300 should be ok, however higher is better, but it will be slow and you will have a larger file size. Get back to us if you need any more help.

Absolutely agree with Mort, the image has to be scanned much higher, where Mort has got your image now, is the very best that can be achieved from the original scan.
good luck

Thank you for the info. I have had a go at re-scanning but I expect that it's probably as good as it gets in the first one. However - nothing ventured as they say.
Very grateful for your input - I learn something new every time I look at this forum.

Here are my two images - one scanned at 300 and one at 600 - hope they are a bit better, and again Thanks!

Tin6000001.jpg

Tin3000001.jpg

Tin6000001.jpgThe 600dpi image is the better one to work with. I have not tried to be too artistic with this, as it was better detail you were looking for, so have only done some basic tidying up. Hope this helps.

View attachment 96709The 600dpi image is the better one to work with. I have not tried to be too artistic with this, as it was better detail you were looking for, so have only done some basic tidying up. Hope this helps.

Thanks Morturn, these pictures I have were taken so long ago that there's nobody around now to help. I'm thinking of writing to a contact from Lost Cousins who gives a detailed account of what she makes of the pictures. I have several candidates for this and the other picture I told you about so I shall try to narrow it down somewhat by gathering all the evidence together.

I'm very grateful - it does make the chaps features clearer but the problem is that I only have a drawing of my 'main suspect'rather than another photo. It's like stripping wallpaper isn't it?

Indeed it is, perhaps you could post the drawing here so we can see.

This is a fascinating image, the style of dress, the headwear and length of her dress. It looks like a set up photo, them both being dressed up, but I cannot make out the background. Looks almost like a lighthouse on the left hand side, but the strange sagging material on the right. They are almost seating quite low, not what I would expect from a studio print.

Perhaps the members here could help us strip away a few more layers of wallpaper

I believe this is a 'booth' photo taken at the seaside or a fair. Photographers (the forerunners of the promenade snappers) used to set up makeshift booths on the sea front. I think they are sitting on a wall and this would be outdoors obviously. It might be that they are on a day trip somewhere and got dressed up to go or (and this is what I'd really like it to be) it's a photograph of my great uncle Joe when he emigrated to America in 1880 with his wife and daughter.

I was interested to read that you thought it might be a lighthouse in the background - that fits the scenario. Oh how easy it is to make things fit! And then be proved wrong later down the line. Thank you.

Sorry - just noticed the bit about posting the drawing. I don't have it here (at work) so I'll post it tomorrow - or tonight if I'm back early enough.

Hi,
Sorry = got waylaid at the library in Birmingham and then the pub so too late last night. I'm posting two pictures of my main suspects. I think it's going to be a mystery which will carry on for a long time. The first one is Joe Woolley and the second is Charley Norton (both boxers from Birmingham). The problem is that it could be anyone but as photos were so scarce in those days I can't think that my great grandmother would have any pictures which weren't of the family or connected to it.

Joe0001.jpg

22a.Charley Norton.jpg

Back