• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pickfords

Pickfords Wood Lane repair depot was for a time the garage for North Birmingham Busways (known to its friends as Erdington Corporation Transport!) until they were bought out in 2007 by Central Connect (part of the Rotala Group, now trading as Diamond Bus). I worked there for the last 5 years of the company, and there was a large metal stores rack inside with an owner's plate marked "CP&Co" (Carter, Paterson & Company, a former haulier taken over by Pickfords). The depot subsequently became a lorry depot, and now seems to be a car servicing garage.

Wood Lane .jpg

Pickfords Wood Lane repair depot was for a time the garage for North Birmingham Busways (known to its friends as Erdington Corporation Transport!) until they were bought out in 2007 by Central Connect (part of the Rotala Group, now trading as Diamond Bus). I worked there for the last 5 years of the company, and there was a large metal stores rack inside with an owner's plate marked "CP&Co" (Carter, Paterson & Company, a former haulier taken over by Pickfords). The depot subsequently became a lorry depot, and now seems to be a car servicing garage.

View attachment 173268

IMG_1501.jpeg

“This Austin K2 express parcels van, with the post-war revised grille, was registered in early 1947 and became No m13463 with Carter Paterson and Pickfords Joint Parcels Services. The original engine was replaced by a 4-litre unit in 1948. This type of Austin became known by the nickname Birmingham Bedford' because of the similarity of the front-end design to that of contemporary Bedfords. Ian Allan Library.”

British lorries since 1945 by Forbes, Michael. Publication date 2012.

When it comes to canal transport, the Manchester firm of Pickfords came to operate extensive fly boat services of the narrow canal network with local depots in Wolverhampton and Birmingham. They then concentrated on railway transport, although they still had a local narrowboat fleet for railway interchange traffic, which ceased before the First World War.

moving a new power station transformer by rail to Blaenau Ffestiniog, Wales 1962
Screenshot (54).pngScreenshot (60).pngScreenshot (61).pngScreenshot (55).png

Last edited:
Back