• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Phillips

Brummiegal

master brummie
Hello there

I am researching my PHILLIPS family of Stirchley Kings Norton. I have a few unusual names amongst them. Nephi of Breedon dining rooms that i think became the Breedon Bar, now long gone is my gt grandfather. Nephi's siblings were Manasseh, Enoch, Edwin & Ephraim the screw manufacturer & inventor. Their father was George Phillips born 1817, son of William Phillips born 1790, he was a seedsman.

I would love to hear from anyone connected to the above families. If your family name is Phillips i would love to hear from you too, perhaps we maybe related as there are many branches & twigs on my vast tree.

Thank you for reading my post.

Hello Dave

Nice to hear from a fellow Phillips:)

Do the names mentioned in my post ring any bells with you?

I have amongst my many branches & twigs lots of other family names. Some lines upto 1911. So maybe we can find a connection.

You can pm me if you'd prefer.

Look forward to hearing from you.:)

Hi, My wifes maiden name was Phillips ( Barbara) her father was George Arthur and I also have info somewher of his Father but not immediately to hand.

:cool:
danimac

Hello

Good to hear from you. As soon as you find your info let me know & I'll check to see if we have a connection. Feel free to PM me.

Look forward to hearing from you. :)

Do you have any male Phillips in your family that may be interested in having a DNA test? If you have 5 generations of Phillips research done for your family it may be a FREE test ;)

Hi Brummiegal, My wifes Fathers name was George Arthur, his Fathers name was Charles Henry Phillips and appropiately enough was born in Charles Henry St here in Birmingham.
Danny

:cool:

Hiya

Do you have any dates for Charles Henry? His name doesn't ring any bells but i will check my branches. What area in B'Ham was he from?

Do you have the census returns for his family? :)

Hi,
I am looking for Maurice Phillips whose birth place is given as Birmingham (1864/5) on his marriage certificate. He died in London in 1929. He was a diamond cutter/mounter and went to work at Tiffanys in New York. His father was Jacob Phillips. We think he married in America and perhaps had at least one child before returning to England a widower and remarrying in 1910. He spent the rest of his life in the Fulham/Paddington areas.

Hello Blue Grass
Unfortunately i don't have a Maurice or Jacob Phillips.
Are there any male Phillips that descend from Jacob? There is a Phillips DNA project looking for males to be tested to find connections.
Thanks for posting.

Here you go Blue Grass
PHILLIPS, Maurice (Head) aged 45 born 1866 Birmingham Warwickshire occ Working Jeweller
PHILLIPS, Sophia Jane (Wife) aged 25 born 1886 W Kensington London
PHILLIPS, Edward Jacob (Son) aged 3 Months born 1911 Paddington London
Married less than 1 year,
Address: 24 Tavistock Road Westbourne Park,Paddington,London

Hi ,
I do have a George PHILLIPS but he died as an infant in 1838. Parents were Jervis and Helen PHILLIPS. There was also a WILLIAM PERRY PHILLIPS born 1832 West Bromwich. Parents were also Jervis and Helen PHILLIPS. When Jervis died in 1847 West Bromwich a WILLIAM PHILLIPS who marked "X" next to his signature was there to claim Jervis's body. I believe it could had been his brother.

Is there really a PHILLIPS DNA Project? Who do you contact for this??

Brummiegal & mtnclmr--

I am one of the co-admins of the Phillips DNA Project and Nancy Kiser is our lead admin with a Phillips connection to Birmingham. Actually one of our project's members wrote an article about his Phillips family that was in our Nov 2009 Newsletter. It has an excellent picture, current, of his ancestor's building in Birmingham, the Ephraim Phillips building. I was going to send an email John and give him a link to this thread. It looks as if the posts on these Phillips are his family.

Here is a link to the Phillips DNA Project's website:

https://www.phillipsdnaproject.com

& the November Newsletter:

https://www.phillipsdnaproject.com/web_documents/newsletters/Nov_2009_newsletter.pdf

The family story is towards the last 2/3's of the newsletter.

Take care!

Tom

Dear Novice Brummie ,I have the family bible which mentions all the names you list .My mother who is 95 met Nephi who is burried at Brandwood Cemetary . Manasseh drowned in a vat at his shop in Kings Heath .Edwin was my Granfather and Nephi my great grandfather . I suggest you send male Dna to the USA who can confirm your lineage and relationship to the oldest family tree yet identified , a cave in lower Saxony We are back to 1694 and trying to establish the link with the US branch and ours . One of your ancestors could have legged it after been on the loosing side at the Battle of Worcester in 1651 .It looks like the family have remained in the parish of Birmingham St Martins or Aston Juxta for a long time .How far back have you achieved ? Which of Nephis children are you decended from

Dear Brummiegal,

I do not know if I replied earlier to your note .I have the family bible and pictures of Nephi and the dining rooms and hotel . You are part of the oldest tree known which is traced back to skeletons found in Lower Saxony .We are back to the mid 1600's at St Martins and possibly Ambrose in the late 1500 hundreds . Manassah drowned in a vat at his shop in Kings Heath ,Nephi my greatgrandfather is buried in Branwood Cemetary .I have the details My email is [email protected] . Look forward to sharing information

Hi Brummiegal and other Phillips,

I thought I'd add my Brummie Phillips family twig to this.
I hope it's OK to add this here.
I can't see any connections to your Phillips, but you never know ...
My gt gran was Maria Phillips (1875-1963), daughter of Benjamin Phillips (1844-1923) and Ann Wild.
In 1891 they were living on Frankfort Street with Ellen Wild, Benjamin's mother in law after Ann's death.
Ben was a edge tool maker.
His parents were William Phillips (1813-1872) and Mary Ann Gwillum (1815-1896)
A family story was told to me in 1980 about cousins who left for Salt Lake City.
It turns out this was true,in 1880, Mary Ann (after William had died and all her children had married) left with her youngest son,Thomas Gwillum Phillips, his wife and daughter and settled in SLC. I'm stunned that this little story was mentioned a hundred years after the event and only I remember hearing it.

Best regards,
Lu

Similar to the above post, it doesn't look as though my family is part of this thread, but the details in the 1891 census at 2 Gopsal Street B'Ham:

Joseph H Phillips age 49
Mary J Phillips age 50
Jane Elizabeth Phillips (my grandmother) age 8
Joseph H Phillips age 7
Nellie? Phillips age 1

Hello Roy

Thank you for getting in touch.

I have checked my tree and the Joseph Phillips i have was born in 1826, he married Sarah Shenton they had 2 children William H & Georgina. Sorry but i cant see a connection at the moment.

Good luck with your research

Greetings all. My name is Paul Phillips, I was born in Solihull in 1957 whilst my parents were residing in Olton. I'm trying to find out more about my grandmother Florence Phillips (nee Carter) who was born in 1904 & died in 1944. Specifically I would like her exact date of birth, her Fathers (John) and Mothers (unknown name) details.

Family info from me backwards:-
Paul (born 15/08/57)
Neale (born 15/04/60)
Albert John (born 17/11/30)
Doreen Margaret (nee Young born 12/09/32 died 07/10/08)
Albert John (1899-1973)
Florence (nee Carter 1904-17/07/44)

Thanks

I would think that obtaining her birth certificate is the best way to find her exact birth date. Do you have any idea where she was born?
I have found a marriage for an Albert Phillips and Florence Carter in 1928 - gives her Father's name as John. The other witness is a Mary Carter (could be Mother or sister).

Florence Phillips.jpg

If this is correct then on the 1911 census John is a widower and Mary (2) a daughter, other siblings include Ellen (10), Harry (4), Job (21), Charles (19) and Ann (John's Mother). It almost makes me think it might be two families ie John married twice with the age gap in the children. Address is 19 Gopsall Street.
Janice

Cheers. I actually have a copy of the original certificate but wasn't sure who Mary was. Will do a bit more research based on your info.

A bit more research shows Ellen in 1901 with parents John and Ellen living in 5 ct 2 Great Hampton Row - same occupation. Following Job to 1891 census finds John with Ann as his wife and 9 children in total. Address then was Garrison Street - 2 back of 40. I can't be certain if this is the right one or not.

Janice

Janice, Job and Charles in 1911 are John Carters brothers , John(Florence father) is shown on the 1891 as age 11 with his brother Job age 2 in Garrison lane

Paul
There is only one birth in Birmingham that fits, she obviously didn't have a middle christian name and the birth is in June qtr 1903
The age of 24 would be correct on marriage certificate as she had not yet had her 25th birthday and the age of 7 would be correct as the census was before
her 8th birthday but her death was after her birthday and her age at her death in july 1944 was 41 making her birthdate 1903.

You could apply for the June birth certificate from Birmingham register office and give the criteria that the fathers name must be John.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. My Dad was a bit unsure of Florence's DOB so he gave me his best estimate. As he's now 84 his memories are a bit clouded especially given he was only 14 when Florence died.

Yes - of course the ages don't fit, should have realised. Sorry Paul if it caused confusion.
I have now found a baptism for an Abel Henry (I suspect this is Harry from the 1911 census) for 12 November 1909 - parents John and Ellen - John a crane driver. 6 ct 34 Great Hampton Row. Also a May baptised 18 January 1909 born Dec 31 and address 3 back of 186 Great Hampton Row - same occupation. Sadly there is also a death of a May Carter later in 1909.

Janice

We are related! I am a Phillips and am Ephraim's granddaughter and have just sent you an email.

Do get in touch!

Hazel

Morning Hazel. Unfortunately further research has shown that Ephraim is not related to me at all. Sorry. Paul.

P.S. Spookily enough my wife is also Hazel!

Hi Brummiegal and other Phillips,
I have a joseph phillips born in Birmingham 17 april 1868 ? (year various on different documents)
He moved to Leeds in about 1901 he meet my great grandma Edith Frisby
I cant find married for them so I dont Know Joseph Phillips parents.
He had 8 children in Leeds/Bradford
He died in 24 December 1953 in Bradford

Regards
Claire

Greetings all. My name is Paul Phillips, I was born in Solihull in 1957 whilst my parents were residing in Olton. I'm trying to find out more about my grandmother Florence Phillips (nee Carter) who was born in 1904 & died in 1944. Specifically I would like her exact date of birth, her Fathers (John) and Mothers (unknown name) details.

Family info from me backwards:-
Paul (born 15/08/57)
Neale (born 15/04/60)
Albert John (born 17/11/30)
Doreen Margaret (nee Young born 12/09/32 died 07/10/08)
Albert John (1899-1973)
Florence (nee Carter 1904-17/07/44)

Thanks
Hi Paul, I am also a Phillips not from same family. I spent years tracking my family line some times spending days looking for one person. When Florence was born you have to remember then the spelling were often wrong. In my family tree the year of births at weddings were also often wrong, young people getting married under age with out consent.
If I am correct Solihull in 1957 was not part of Birmingham which will make your search harder. Census form are well worth looking at.

Paul wish you well in your search.

Nick S Phillips

Hello there

I am researching my PHILLIPS family of Stirchley Kings Norton. I have a few unusual names amongst them. Nephi of Breedon dining rooms that i think became the Breedon Bar, now long gone is my gt grandfather. Nephi's siblings were Manasseh, Enoch, Edwin & Ephraim the screw manufacturer & inventor. Their father was George Phillips born 1817, son of William Phillips born 1790, he was a seedsman.

I would love to hear from anyone connected to the above families. If your family name is Phillips i would love to hear from you too, perhaps we maybe related as there are many branches & twigs on my vast tree.

Thank you for reading my post.
Does Raymond "Taffy" Phillips ring any bells?

Back