• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry William aka The Tipton Slasher

• Thread starter Christopher Witcomb
  • Start date
Re: William Perry aka The Tipton Slasher

Hi Carl,
I am currently writing a book about the Slasher and I would be happy to correspond with you about the information that you have (from my research you seem to be 99% correct!)
My email address is cs-associatesATmsn.com (just replace the AT with the proper symbol.
Chris

Last night I was looking through some papers in an effort to help my great nephew with a school project and came across a postcard of a painting I presume of The Tipton Slasher - William Perry (1819 - 1880) Champion of England Bare Knuckle Boxing 1850-1857. There was also a postcard showing 4 canal scenes. Unfortunately I don't know how to post photos as I know they may be of interest.

From the Birmingham Post on 24th June 1863.

tipton_slasher.jpg

I think that it was £62 in gold - which was a considerable amount in those days (in fact still is today!) In fact the Slasher was robbed on a couple of occasions during his life and his house was burgled too. As you say...the good old days were not quite so good

Chris

The painting is almost certainly the one that was presented to the Tipton Building Society. Interestingly this is only presumed to be of the Slasher. There are rumours of photos of him having been published but I have yet to find one.
Chris

Hello All

After considerable research, I have unearthed an APOLOGY dated 20th February 1870 printed in the REYNOLDS NEWSPAPER ( please see British Newspapers on line)
" A CONTRADICTION - WE ARE REQUESTED TO STATE THAT THE REPORT WHICH APPEARED IN OUR COLUMN LAST WEEK TO THE EFFECT THAT MR WILLIAM PERRY (THE TIPON SLASHER) IS AN INMATE AT GATESHEAD WORKHOUSE IS ENTIRELY WITHOUT FOUNDATION. WE REGRET THAT THE UNFOUNDED RUMOUR , WHICH WAS TAKEN FROM A DAILY CONTEMPORARY, SHOULD APPEAR IN THESE COLUMNS."

Hope this settles the point once and for all - as an historian someone closely connected with the Perry line , it is both unsettling and disturbing to have incorrect and unfounded info perpetuated - however well meaning on the part of the authors.The Article was not hard to find,
As with the 'Fourth Estate' of 21st century - stories were shared by telegraph)in this case - which meant mis-information as well a correct was often spread rapidly. William did lose money - but he bounced back time after time. He was not wealthy when he died - as also extensively documented in domestic and world wide press - but he was employing men and making a decent living
Cheers

Please note also The Letter from Mr J Crowther Smith adated 7.2.1870to the Editor of the Birmingham Post

"SIR - A PARAGRAPH IN YOUR ISSUE OF SATURDAY LAST STATING THAT WILLIAM PERRY 'THE TIPTON SLASHER' AND HIS WIFE ARE AT PRESENT TIME INMATES OF THE GATESHEAD WORKHOUSE. THE STATEMENT IS ENTIRELY WITHOUT FOUNDATION AND I MUST REQUEST THAT YOU GIVE A PUBLIC CONTRADICTION TOIT IN YOUR NEXT ISSUE. YOUR OBEDIENT SERVANT J CROWTHER SMITH WOLVERHAMPTON 7TH FEBRUARY 1870

Editors reply is typical of the Birmingham local rag notorious for its inaccuracies!): 'The paragraph was copied and acknowledged from a Newcastle newspaper We know nothing more of it EDIT B.P '

Also see British newspapers Archive : Sheffield Independent 11th Feb 1870 - citing The Newcastle Chronicle: QUOTE:

"We have information from Wolverhampton which proves without doubt theperson now inGateshead Workhouse who asserts he is 'The Tipton Slasher' is not the individual he represents himself to be. This person who has been for some time in the neighbourhood of Newcastle was believed to be the veritable William Perry & in consequence of his representations, has been treated by various people with much kindness. Mr William Perry, the real 'Tipton Slasher', resides near Wolverhampton & is not likely to suffer the misfortune of being placed in such a state of indigence'

So - as the Family has asserted all along - some poor old chap who shared a (very) common name , down on his luck, took the chance to cash in on it and have a bit of comfort and attention,no doubt thinking he was far enough removed ( wrongly!) from the Real 'Un.

This should finally lay to rest the myth of an Old Contender who had it all throwing it all away and endiing up in poverty with only his memories and tales'!!

• :sneakiness:
    icon6.png
    icon14.png

Maggie 7858

Just found this thread, some of the family have been looking into the family tree, and have been told he is a relative, my Great nan was born Anne Perry who married George Lewis i believe they were from Dudley, and lived and worked on narrow boats, which fits in with the rumors from my Nan (Who never talked about her family)

Does anyone know the names of William Perrys brothers and sisters?

[email protected]

I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but I thought I might add some information. The John Perry that is shown in the 1851 Census in Kates Hill, in 1861 on Price Street, and in 1871 on Price Street with wife Elizabeth and children Charles (b 1845), Sarah Ann (b 1843), Susannah (b 1851), John S. (b 1854) an Elizabeth (b 1860) consistently provides his birth year as 1818. This potentially corresponds to a baptism record for a John Perry born to Charles and Susannah Perry, both of which are repeated in the names of his children. The John Perry born to Timothy and Sarah was baptized in 1822.

I think a John Perry shown with wife Mary Ann and children Catherine and William in 1851 in Tipton, birth year about 1821, might be the correct John Perry to be brother to William. There is a burial record for a Mary Ann Perry in 1852 and then an 1859 marriage record for a John Perry, widow, with father listed as Timothy Perry. This John Perry left Staffordshire between 1861 and 1871 and settled in Wales. Then in about 1879 or 1880 he left for the States with his stepdaughter (on paper she should be a step, but I think otherwise) and died in Pennsylvania in 1893. This John Perry's year of birth is consistently shown as 1821 or 1822 in censuses, except for the last in 1880. In the interest of full disclosure regarding my theory there is a problem with the record for this John's first marriage to Mary Ann: the "best" record I have found lists the groom's father as Thomas. But in all my searches I have not come across ANY marriage record in the right time frame for a John Perry to Mary Ann with the groom's father Timothy. There is no doubt, however, that the widow John who remarried in 1858 with father Timothy was married to a Mary Ann first based on the baptisms of the children and then the family group in the 1861 Census.

I've only just begun researching the brothers of John, who is in my direct line, but it looks like Zarah and his wife also went to Pennsylvania and died there. In the 1880 US Census there are Zarah and Honor Perry, both born in England, in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania with sons David and Joseph. Further, there are find-a-grave.com memorials to both Zarah and Honor. This for Honor: "Birth 1826 Worcestershire, England Death Mar. 26, 1898 Pittsburgh Allegheny County Pennsylvania, USA, Mrs. Honor Perry, aged 70 years, died Saturday at her home in Avonmore. She was the widow of Zara Perry. The funeral services will be held from the residence of her son, David Perry, Etna, tomorrow. Pittsburgh Press - March 28, 1898" And this for Zarah: "Birth 1827, England Death Dec. 10, 1890 Pittsburgh Allegheny County Pennsylvania, USA On Wednesday, December 10, 1890, at 1:15 p.m., Z. Perry, aged 72 years 1 month and 5 days. Funeral from his late residence, Thirty-ninth street, Pittsburgh, on Friday, December 12, at 2 P.M. Friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend. (Alton, Ill) papers please copy".

The will shown in this thread for Zera Perry might apply to one of Timothy Jr.'s sons-Zechariah. There is an 1872 West Bromwich marriage record for Zera Perry with groom's father Timothy, and a 1919 Dudley death record for Zerah Perry age 70, birth year about 1849 which would correspond to Zechariah shown with Timothy and Priscilla Perry in 1861 and 1871.

Also, someone else added early on in this thread that there were sisters in this family but I'm not so sure. There was another Timothy and Sarah Perry having children in Staffordshire (Wednesfield) at about the same time and earlier that had daughters and a son named Timothy I think too.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the party on this thread but I thought I might add some information. The John Perry that is shown in the 1851 Census in Kates Hill, in 1861 on Price Street, and in 1871 on Price Street with wife Elizabeth and children Charles (b 1845), Sarah Ann (b 1843), Susannah (b 1851), John S. (b 1854) an Elizabeth (b 1860) consistently provides his birth year as 1818. This potentially corresponds to a baptism record for a John Perry born to Charles and Susannah Perry, both of which are repeated in the names of his children. The John Perry born to Timothy and Sarah was baptized in 1822.

I think a John Perry shown with wife Mary Ann and children Catherine and William in 1851 in Tipton, birth year about 1821, might be the correct John Perry to be brother to William. There is a burial record for a Mary Ann Perry in 1852 and then an 1859 marriage record for a John Perry, widow, with father listed as Timothy Perry. This John Perry left Staffordshire between 1861 and 1871 and settled in Wales. Then in about 1879 or 1880 he left for the States with his stepdaughter (on paper she should be a step, but I think otherwise) and died in Pennsylvania in 1893. This John Perry's year of birth is consistently shown as 1821 or 1822 in censuses, except for the last in 1880. In the interest of full disclosure regarding my theory there is a problem with the record for this John's first marriage to Mary Ann: the "best" record I have found lists the groom's father as Thomas. But in all my searches I have not come across ANY marriage record in the right time frame for a John Perry to Mary Ann with the groom's father Timothy. There is no doubt, however, that the widow John who remarried in 1959 with father Timothy was married to a Mary Ann first based on the baptisms of the children and then the family group in the 1861 Census.

I've only just begun researching the brothers of John, who is in my direct line, but it looks like Zarah and his wife also went to Pennsylvania and died there. In the 1880 US Census there are Zarah and Honor Perry, both born in England, in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania with sons David and Joseph. Further, there are find-a-grave.com memorials to both Zarah and Honor. This for Honor: "Birth 1826 Worcestershire, England Death Mar. 26, 1898 Pittsburgh Allegheny County Pennsylvania, USA, Mrs. Honor Perry, aged 70 years, died Saturday at her home in Avonmore. She was the widow of Zara Perry. The funeral services will be held from the residence of her son, David Perry, Etna, tomorrow. Pittsburgh Press - March 28, 1898" And this for Zarah: "Birth 1827, England Death Dec. 10, 1890 Pittsburgh Allegheny County Pennsylvania, USA On Wednesday, December 10, 1890, at 1:15 p.m., Z. Perry, aged 72 years 1 month and 5 days. Funeral from his late residence, Thirty-ninth street, Pittsburgh, on Friday, December 12, at 2 P.M. Friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend. (Alton, Ill) papers please copy".

The will shown in this thread for Zera Perry might apply to one of Timothy Jr.'s sons-Zechariah. There is an 1872 West Bromwich marriage record for Zera Perry with groom's father Timothy, and a 1919 Dudley death record for Zerah Perry age 70, birth year about 1849 which would correspond to Zechariah shown with Timothy and Priscilla Perry in 1861 and 1871.

Also, someone else added early on in this thread that there were sisters in this family but I'm not so sure. There was another Timothy and Sarah Perry having children in Staffordshire (Wednesfield) at about the same time and earlier that had daughters and a son named Timothy I think too.

Any thoughts?

I am related to Zerah and Honor Perry who emigrated to the U.S.A. They are my gr gr gr grandparents. Zerah and Honor were married in 1847 at Sedgley, County of Stafford. We have not found them in the 1850 US Census or the 1851 England Census. We believe that they came to the United States after the 1850 Census but before the 1851 England Census. We believe that Zerah came for work. Their son William is my gr gr grandfather. He was born in June, 1853 in Michigan and baptized in December, 1853 in England. William is shown on a later census to be a Brittish Subject, meaning he held dual citizenship. They appear in the 1861 and 1871 England Census records. They came back to the United States in September, 1871. Could the John Parry who came to the U.S. on the Ship Parthia in 1878 be your John? I would be so happy to share and exchange information with you. You can contact me at [email protected].

Last edited:
pumpky27,

I am so excited to see your message here, the timing of which is quite amazing. I hadn't looked at this thread for ages and I have just recently made some progress on this family line, including via DNA matches. Will send an email in the next couple of days. Thanks for posting!

I was so excited I neglected to answer your post.

I have also not located Zerah and Honor in the 1850 or 1851 Censuses, although I do have a travel record for an Honor Perry:
Honor Perry
Arrival Date Nov 20, 1850
Age 30
Gender F
Port of Arrival New York
Port of Departure Liverpool
Place of Origin Great Britain
Ship Marathon
Family Identification 24159430 Microfilm Serial Number M237 Microfilm Roll Number 94

So I would think that they must have been in the States from about 1850 (Zerah traveling ahead first?) through at least 1853, returned to England by 1860 or so at the latest, for David's and Joseph's births, UK censuses in 1861 and 1871 in Tipton, and then returned to the US permanently.

Yes, the 1878 travel record for "John Parry" is, I believe, the correct one. He lived in Nanticoke, Luzerne County, PA with the family of his daughter Sarah Alice Perry Ashton, until his death in Dec 1893. His second wife Anne/Anna Maria also came to the States at some point and also died in Nanticoke, in 1883.

Thank you!

my grandad ALFRED PERRY was related somehow to the tipton slasher, my grandad said his great grandad took his dad being my great grandad to watch the tipton slasher fight in the ring and also train. my uncle has the same name as the slasher.

my grandad ALFRED PERRY was related somehow to the tipton slasher, my grandad said his great grandad took his dad being my great grandad to watch the tipton slasher fight in the ring and also train. my uncle has the same name as the slasher.

If you are comfortable sharing additional details for Alfred (birth date/location, marriage/location, and if he has passed, date and location), I would be happy to take a look and see what I can find. You are welcome to message me here if you would rather not post the information.

HI Chris
Interesting details which links with existing research.

I think the Workhouse myth can be laid to rest if you note my amended thread to Janeld's

In the 'Warrilow' article it states that the clock and a watch chain became part of Liza Middleton's 'inheritance' - not that she was related only that she was aware of the Slasher. But, it also says she was not born until the year of his death (1880) therefore she cannot have had the 'first hand' stories as quoted in it.
Inheritance denotes a family link! Unless these were passed as gifts outside the Family - but with so many other surviving relatives, why would these precious possessions leave the Family? It says the clock had pride of place on the Family Narrowboat - which would have been a working vessel - after the Freeman fight of 1842 . He had traded with Freeman for it.
This Middleton link - or not! - is a good line to investigate!

As a matter of interest I have an accredited report of William in the Spring of 1836 working as a Bricklayer in Aston, Birmingham between fights - no doubt as a good as a Gym workout in the 19th Century!

Hi Carl and All,

I think I have some information which may explain the path of the clock. Timothy Perry, William's brother, had a daughter named Ann Maria (1854-1927) who married James Middleton 1873, Dudley. They had six children but only one son to carry on the Middleton name. That son was registered and baptized 1879 as James Middleton and his birthplace is listed as Tipton in censuses. Until a few days ago, I had only been able to track him up to the 1891 Census. When I was researching James Jr., I had looked at and discarded a James Henry Middleton of the same age, also born Tipton, but left myself some notes regarding him and his wife. After seeing this post again last week, I re-checked the GRO for a James Middleton from 1875 to 1885 registered Dudley and there is no other. This leads me to believe that James Jr. and James Henry Middleton are one and the same, with the Henry added at some point. James Henry married 1907, registered Stourbridge, Eliza Withers (Born 1883). In 1911, their address is listed as The Hay Basin, Canal St, Wolverhampton and his occupation is Master, Canal Boat. James Henry died 1938, registered Wolverhampton. Eliza died 1972, also registered Wolverhampton and her probate record lists her as of Heath Town, Wolverhampton. Eliza Withers Middleton may well be Mrs. Liza Middleton.

Also some info regarding the owner of the ape, from Hitchmough's Black Country Pubs:
‘Tipton: A Third Selection’ by Keith Hodgkins and John Brimble
“…..the stuffed ape which once belonged to the prizefighter, the Tipton Slasher. The story goes that the ape was killed by the Slasher’s father who knocked it down a flight of stairs after being bitten on the finger ….. It was passed on to his great granddaughter Mrs. Elizabeth Harding of the THREE HORSESHOES in Ocker Hill who gave it to the licensee of the Horseley Heath pub [PRINCE REGENT] when she retired in 1940 ….. It is believed the ape was ceremoniously burnt at the rear of the pub in the 1960’s.”

Then from the book Slasher regarding the portrait of William Perry: "acquired the painting from a relative of the Slasher who ran the Three Horseshoes in Tipton's Ocker Hill area. An article regarding the portrait says that the item was in the family's possession for over 100 years.

I believe Mrs. Harding was indeed related to William Perry but records seem to show her great grandfather is Timothy Perry, William's brother. Her grandfather was another William Perry, son of Timothy.

Thoughts?

I was so excited I neglected to answer your post.

I have also not located Zerah and Honor in the 1850 or 1851 Censuses, although I do have a travel record for an Honor Perry:
Honor Perry
Arrival Date Nov 20, 1850
Age 30
Gender F
Port of Arrival New York
Port of Departure Liverpool
Place of Origin Great Britain
Ship Marathon
Family Identification 24159430 Microfilm Serial Number M237 Microfilm Roll Number 94

So I would think that they must have been in the States from about 1850 (Zerah traveling ahead first?) through at least 1853, returned to England by 1860 or so at the latest, for David's and Joseph's births, UK censuses in 1861 and 1871 in Tipton, and then returned to the US permanently.

Yes, the 1878 travel record for "John Parry" is, I believe, the correct one. He lived in Nanticoke, Luzerne County, PA with the family of his daughter Sarah Alice Perry Ashton, until his death in Dec 1893. His second wife Anne/Anna Maria also came to the States at some point and also died in Nanticoke, in 1883.

Thank you!

I haven't been on this thread in quite awhile. I am the 3rd great granddaughter of Zerah Perry who moved to the US and settled in Pennsylvania. My aunt, uncle, cousin and I have all done the dna on Ancestry. I just did mine about a year ago. We do have dna matches to descendants of John Perry, the brother of William Perry a/k/a the Tipton Slasher. John Perry also moved to Pennsylvania in the USA. I have had contact with one of John's descendants. I also have a match to a descendant of the Tipton Slasher and one to his brother Thomas. If anyone has information, I would love to correspond and add to my family tree. Does anyone else on here have this Perry family tree on Ancestry?

Nobody did answer the question I put in, #57, 2010, my old mate John Corefield, Ex GG, from Wolverhampton, saw it also, in the late 50's, so it must have been fairly common. Paul

Back