• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry William aka The Tipton Slasher

• Thread starter Christopher Witcomb
  • Start date
C

Christopher Witcomb

Hi
Does anyone have good details about the family of William Perry " The Tipton Slasher " [bare knuckle boxer and champion of England in 1850s, lived 1819-1880 in the Black Country] which might help me to confirm my connection

My Grandmother Lilian Perry told me we were connected

Her father was William Perry [born in Birmingham, lived 1866-1896 in Birmingham with Eliza Kate Perry ne Long @ 2court 6house Vaughton St Aston in 1881]

His father was James Perry [born in Brum, born 1841 , married to Ellen, lived in Darwin St, Bordsley/Deritend ]
He possibly was William Perry, the Slashers son or nephew or further relative?

I spoke with Carl Chinn, some time ago when he was researching William Perry, who also had a connection routing from the same area

After all the interest has anyone got a "book of Perrys"?

Best Regs
Chris

perry families

Hi Chris, how is your research going, I am a Perry from aston have your seen how many there are i have been searching for my William Perry born about 1819 who lived in Fisher st Birmingham in 1851 with his family. I have not been able to find my ancestors in 1861 census or 1871 census been looking since about 2001. I found my grt grandfather Henry Perry in 1881 he was born 1849 in Fisher st but there is a big gap he also had brother william born 1846 i found lots of williams but none seem to have been mine ,has my grt grandad henry and his twin george should still have been at home in 1861 i thought i would find them but every william and his wife maryann had different children so new they were not mine. So i am still searching for mine i hope you have more luck than me. I also found there were lots of perrys with same name i also had a Lillian m perry born about 1887 she was my grandads sister when was your lillian born. I dont think im connected to the Tipton Slasher i would be well proud of that me and my husband like boxing. There was two williams born birmingham 1817 to 1819 i found one in dudley road workhouse in birmingham he had died in 1877 an edge tool striker but he wasnt mine . Just wandered in your search if you might have come across my lot my william was a brass caster he had wife mary , then emma,james,william,henry,george in 1851.:(

i'm a perry

Hi my name is
Michael William Joshua Perry
William Perry AKA the tipton slasher
is my grate , grate , grate , grate , grate , grate grandfarther and i would like to now alot more about him
so please send info to
[email protected]
best regs
Michael Perry

William Perry AKA The Tipton Slasher

Hi

Well first who was he:
To my knowledge he was all England bareknuckle boxing champion around 1858.
He was born about 1819 and died about 1880 and is buried in St Johns Church Kates Hill.
There is a statue of him in Coronation gardens in Tipton just nearby The Fountain Public House [which he used as a base during his boxing days].

I believe his father was Timothy and he also had a brother of same name. I believe his wife was Anna Marie and they produced a son William Edward Perry born about 1855.
There are many stories about him including him owning a monkey [which I think is true] which he used to spar with [maybe less true]. The deceased monkey was stuffed and kept on display in a relations pub according to my late Gran [Lilian Perry].
I believe he got his "Slasher" name from his boxing style with which he finished off his opponents in record time.

Rosie
I'll look back at my notes and see if I can see any of yours and you are right there are loads of them in Aston and even more in the Black Country
Interesting you found a Lilian M Perry
My gran was Lilian Maud Perry born 1893. To my knowledge she only had one younger brother named William who was born in 1895 but died in 1898.
I think Gran was related since a lot of the stories she told me as a child have been verified and my late father told me she put up money in the thirties for some sort of fund [perhaps for a grave stone?] for William Perry AKA

The Tipton Slasher

The details of this man are fully recorded in the 'Black Country Bugle' which is the voice of Black Country history.

I believe the editorial offices are still in Brettle Lane, Brierley Hill, I am sure you will find a complete 'run down' on this man, his family and his fighting achievements. I used to be a regular reader of this monthly paper when I lived in that area years ago, if I remember correctly every other person in Tipton is a relative of the 'Tipton Slasher'.

William Perry aka The Tipton Slasher

Occasionally I have The Bugle passed on to me.

The address is
Black Country Bugle
Bugle House
41 High Street
Cradley Heath
B64 5HL

Tele: 01384 4l0045

email: [email protected]

Good Luck in your search

I had a book The Life and Times of the Tipton Slasher - Black Country Publications. As you do, I lent someone and never got back. Now, unfortunately, it's out of print. :cry:

One of the facts I remember was he died virtually penniless because he always bet everything he's won on the next fight. There was also something about him coming across Burke and Hare. He's buried under a granite slab to prevent them getting him.:036:

perry

Hi chris, i see your gran was lilian maud perry i found out my ancestor my grandads sister was lilian matilda perry so its a different lady. In my searching i have been sent a marriage certificate of a john alfred witcomb to a lilian maud perry in 1917 at a church in birmingham john was living at oldfield rd and lilian at digmoke st is this your rellie . On this certificate lilians father is william deceased which then let me know it was wrong one my lilians father was called henry perry .

Last edited by a moderator:
William Perry

Hi Rosie
You are absolutely right - those were my grandparents and Lilian Mauds Dad was "my" William Perry [a tin plater]. It was his father James Perry [b1841] who was somehow related to William Perry AKA Tipton Slasher . My guess is he was a cousin or nephew.

Best Regards
Chris
PS I'll keep an eye out for yours when I have another session

William Perry aka The Tipton Slasher

Some years ago I researched Slasher, but cannot put my hands on anything at the moment. I do remember some trivia though! He was also known as 'Capital K Leg' as a result of a physical deformity he had. Towards the end of his fighting career he sought the advice a sort of soothsayer who prophesied: " Slasher, you'll get all you gid in one goo, Tom Little will mek it come true". Tom Little turned out to be the much smaller Tom Sayers who pummelled Perry into a bloody defeat.

Re: William Perry aka The Tipton Slasher

Hi, I've just come across this site, has anybody found William Perry on the census or the record of his birth or marriage, I keep flipping over when searching my side of the Perry family. I was told that we to were related and allthough I can find snippets that could make a connection. I can find nothing conclusive.
any contact by other Perry researches would be apprieciated.

Sandyback ,if you go back to page 1 of this thread Michael Perry has posted about his relative the Tipton Slasher.

Hi, I've just come across this site, has anybody found William Perry on the census or the record of his birth or marriage, I keep flipping over when searching my side of the Perry family. I was told that we to were related and allthough I can find snippets that could make a connection. I can find nothing conclusive.
any contact by other Perry researches would be apprieciated.

Hi
You can see my interest right at the begining of this thread

I have not yet made the direct connection from my familly back to William Perry aka The Tipton Slasher so I started to go the other way and collect all I could find on him .
I have collected the info from everywhere I can and I am still building the tree! [there are a lot of them]
He appears in several censuses
I believe him to be the son of Timothy [b 1790] and Sarah Perry
He had at least two sisters and 4 brothers
His brother Timothy had 9+ children and he had at least a son and daughter from his marriage to Anna Marie

Where do your ancestors come from ? How far have you got back?

Best Regards
Chris Witcomb

Hi Chris, I'm stuck at 1750 due to a missing record. My lot are all traced back to the Tamworth area.in the early 1800's there was a migration away from the area. If I can make the link pre 1750 I can get to the mid 1600's. still in the same area.
If you pm me your email I'll get back to you. any chance of a link to one of the census's.
Regards
Andrew

Hi

I would like to correspond with SandyB etc but I'm concerned to give my email address [I've been spammed before and have just now got a banned members message]

ADMIN : if I send an instant message [with my email address] does it appear as a post or is it only readable by the reciprient?

Rgds
Chris

Hi Chris, If you click on the persons name you will see send whoever an instant message this is a personal message between you both. The only people who can see these are the admin and then only if a complaint is made and at the discretion of the administrator.

Back