• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Village Police Station

Something has just struck me. We have a third Perry Barr/Perry Village location for a police station/house then; cottage in Church Road, cottage/house/station off Birchfield Road and the 1904 building in Canterbury Road. So #14 might well have been the one circled in OMs second map in post #19. The map shows Canterbury Road as a track or a planned road (?) to the south at that time of the marked police station.

Alternatively, I have lost the plot ! Viv.

Last edited:
Returning to 1940 Kelly's I found a list of Police Cottages - it also listed Canterbury Road as a sub-station.
I also checked the 1905 edition which lists Perry Barr (sergeant and 10 constables) and Perry Village (one constable) as Police Stations coming under Staffordshire Police. No mention of Canterbury Road.

I think the view in post#11 is the back of the left side of the building in post#14. Note the same decorative lintels, the same blinds in the upper part of the windows, same number of window panes. Can't say about the curtains but they look similar. All conjecture of course ... :)

Window from post#11
window.JPG

Window from post#14
window1.jpg

Agree Phil. The chimney looks in the correct position too. Seems we have a match for the two photos. Just need to know which police station/cottage. Do we have an aerial view of Birchfield Road (near the library and cinema) pre-1950s anywhere? There are 1960s views on the Library of Birmingham site when the road/underpass was developed. If we could find an earlier view we might be able to spot the building - presumably near/at the rear of the Library/cinema.

If we have firm confirmation that #11 and #14 are Perry Barr police station I shall transfer all discussion to a new thread. Viv.

Two aerial views
An aerial view of Church Lane in 1950 and I think the house I have circled could be the house in pic1 in post#1. Note the two dormer bedroom windows. Looking on Google Earth that house is not there today.
ChurchLane1950.JPG

An aerial view of Birchfield Road in 1920 but resolution is not good. The Birchfield Cinema and Library can be seen in the circle and from maps I think the police house is somewhere there but I cannot see anything definite. Canterbury Road School top right with Canterbury Road Police Station next to it.
PerryBarr1920.JPG
images from 'britainfromabove'

Last edited:
Yes Phil, the Church Lane building looks like it, the tall hedge is there alongside too. Quite close to the Church Tavern then.

Second view - pity it's so blurry.

Thanks Phil. Viv.

These photos from the Library of Birmingham were taken when the underpass etc was developed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The first image shows an empty plot of land next to the library and the last photo shows work starting at the side of the cinema. If someone can match the building's up with the second map in post #19 we might be in with a chance. One slight problem however is it's difficult to make out which building the "Police Station" label refers to. Viv.

Last edited:
In the 1940 (nearest online I can find) Kelly's Directory 11 Church Road is listed as a Police Cottage. I wonder if it is just that a cottage with a policeman rather than anything larger. I assume he would have had a phone. Is it the place marked with a "p" on this map from 1937? Or one of the two buildings the other side of the pub?

Back