• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Barr Lakes

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Edit. The image below was discussed and it was thought the image was incorrectly labelled by the Library of Birmingham. All posts relating to this image are now on the Colebrook Priory Mill thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/colebrook-priory-mill.3949/
————————————————————————————————

This Library of Birmingham image shows a lake in Perry Barr and a windmill. Looks about 1930s/40s to me. Although there must have been several windmills in the area, this is the first photograph I've seen recording one. Any ideas where exactly this would have been taken ? Would it have been Perry Park ? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I remember the lake in Perry Barr Park - it was over to the Aldridge Road side of the park.

I may be wrong about this but wasn't it a man made 'lake' which formed after some sort of digging? If I recall correctly there was a large slag heap to the one side of it.

An aerial view c1945 showing both parks. The Perry Barr lake was narrow where the lady was standing marked with red dot. The Perry Hall lake had a path each side and if the she had been walking there the church would not have been behind her. There are pics of both these lakes elsewhere on the forum.
Parks2.JPG

I was in a rowing boat on Perry Barr Park lake as shown in a family photo I posted some years ago. The photo was taken by my mother standing by the army huts.
A family photo which shows that you could once row a boat on the pool in Perry Barr park. No life jackets and us kids were not allowed to use the rudder, it's stowed away in the boat. The photo was taken during WW2 - I looked at the pool recently on Google Earth and it looked green with weeds etc.
index.php
click pic to expand it, click again to close it.

An aerial view c1945 showing both parks. The Perry Barr lake was narrow where the lady was standing marked with red dot. The Perry Hall lake had a path each side and if the she had been walking there the church would not have been behind her. There are pics of both these lakes elsewhere on the forum.
View attachment 121867
The photo states that it was the moat which I imagine became the place where the paddle boats used to be in Perry Hall, I don't remember there being a moat at Perry Barr park.

I remember the lake in Perry Barr Park - it was over to the Aldridge Road side of the park.

I may be wrong about this but wasn't it a man made 'lake' which formed after some sort of digging? If I recall correctly there was a large slag heap to the one side of it.
You are probably correct about the man-made aspect. It has some regular shapes rather than irregular as most natural lakes have. It is adjacent to the Tame Valley Canal and is a feeder for the canal but maps do not show it as such, just a reservoir.
It should not be confused with this city reservoir which, it says, is covered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Barr_Reservoir

The second pic from this old post shows the narrow boating lake in Perry Hall Park.
Two pictures of the Paddle Boats and the Rowing Boats that were at Perry Hall Park. The white wooden barrier in the first picture stopped the paddle boats going on the larger lake.
Paddle_Boat_traffic_jam.jpg

Boating_on_Big_Lake.jpg

It is a Perry Barr lake but in Perry Hall Park. It is winter c1931 and shows how narrow the lake was.
I saw this lake during the severe winter of 1947 when the ice was a foot thick and lots of people were ice skating on it.
Perry Hall Lake in 1931.jpg
image from the Birmingham Library collection.

Back