• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Penn St

pearlyred

Brummie babby
Hi all, I have a snippet of the marriage record for a relative that lived in Birmingham, but I'm really struggling to read the handwriting they used to use. This is from 1924.

Can anyone make out the address on Penn Street? It looks like Rock Mount or something, but I can't find anything similar. Bonus points if you can also get the occupation.. :)

Thanks
Lee

It looks like 5 Rock Mount, Penn St., and an occupation of frame filer to me. I have to say that I am not familiar with Penn Street, but perhaps Mikejee, our map expert, can confirm. Filing was an occupation for many in the manufacturing trades. And welcome to the Forum.

Maurice

Brilliant, thanks for the map! Not too many photo's around of this area that I can find.

Did you search the electoral roll by address somehow? I wasn't aware you could do that, or you just looked up J Marson?..

Here is a photo of Penn Street that I took in Oct 2009 after most of the buildings in the area had been knocked down.

Rock Mount would have been about half way up on the the left.

The building at the far end of Penn St is a pub (as can be seen in the old map above). It is still there and has been modernised and linked in to the new university buildings that have been built in the area.

The pub at the time of that old map above was named the Eagle and Ball but when I took photos of it it was called the Moby Dicks. It has now been renamed as the Eagle and Ball.

Sadly Penn St has now pretty much gone, with the BCU (Birmingham City University) buildings built over the top of it.
ES01C MC3 020.JPG

Following on from my update above, here is a photo I took in 2014 (from Gopsal Street) showing how much development was going on in the area. All these buildings are for the BCU (Birmingham City University) as they moved from Perry Barr.

Note the area in Perry Barr the BCU moved FROM is now being redeveloped as the athletes village that will be used for the Commonwealth Games. After the Games the athletes village will be user for housing.

In the photo below you can see the Eagle and Ball pub pretty much in the centre, and Penn St would have gone off to the left. As you can see Penn Street is being built over.

ES101 13th April 2014 001.JPG

Last edited:
Following on from my TWO updates above here is a photo of the Eagle and Ball pub and what is left of Penn Street. Photo taken in 2014.

As you can see from the sign on the side of the pub Penn Street goes off to the left, but only for a short distance and then buildings have been built over it.

Note the Eagle and Ball pub is open to the public as well as to workers or students from the university. However I think it only opens when the University is open so probably not during holidays or maybe even at the weekend. Check opening times before going. It is a lovely little pub once you get inside (they do serve food).

ES190 Birmingham 169.JPG

Last edited:
The website is a bit confusing as to when it is actually open, but seems to say it is open 11-11 Mon -Thursday

ScreenHunter 867.jpg

Thanks for the info and photo's everyone. Interesting that the street pretty much no longer exists with the new Uni buildings going over it.

I think they've done a pretty good job of sprucing up that pub, lovely to see some old brickwork surviving and looking splendid.

I guess photo's of this area from the old days don't really exist now? It would have been a pretty poor neighbourhood I assume.

I've found records of family living in many places in Yardley and the surrounding areas, hopefully I can slowly dig up some info about them all to give me a picture of how they lived. Quite fascinating really.. it's a shame you don't appreciate these things as a youngster while you can still ask some of them the questions you now want to :)

Regards,
Lee

Got a photo off Gopsal Street today of what was Penn Street. Now towards The Curzon Building at Birmingham City University.

Eagle & Ball by BCUSU is to the right.

Modern pub sign.

My Mom's family were living at 3 Rock Mount, Penn Street in the early 1900's. Many thanks for the plan. They then moved to new houses in Northfield. they thought it was paradise. Arthur Hobbis
thanks arthur and welcome...i have checked my old photo files but alas i do not have any of the old penn st...i will ask around for you

lyn

Back