• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Paul Newman His secret life exposed

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
We have had a discussion recently on the forum as to what you can or can not believe in the press or on the media, the same applies to books, I have
been reading a review in the "Express" of a new book by Darwin Porter
about one of my altime heros Paul Newman. If what he writes is correct it
destroys my faith in human nature, in fact I am gutted I really thought that he was 40 year happily married man, but as my old Dad used to say
one half of the world have no idea how the other half lives. I suppose its
easy to write about people when they are dead, they are not likely to come and sue you! His son Scott died of an overdose in 1978, I just dont
know what you can, or not believe. Bernard

I hate this trend of slating people of when they have died. For goodness sake their personal life is private and whilst they still have relatives livig I think it is totally dishonourable to degrade the dead.

Bernard........keep your dreams of this great actor and ignore the books that are only out to get as much dosh as they can at our exspense and the deads.

I have not read the book and have no intention of doing so. What I would say, though, is that even in fairly recent years he acted in a movie with his wife Joanne Woodward (hope I got the name right). Surely that would not have happened if they were at odds. They were both quite senior people then. I am sure that she was not short of a couple of pennies so that she had to do the movie. What can I say of Paul Newman, other than he was a great actor and provided entertainment for millions throughout his career. How can you not admire that.

Reminds me of the book the 'Damned United'.In that both Revie and Clough had passed,and couldn't defend themselves.Giles however sucessfully sued,and won.
Paul isn't here to defend himself,so they can publish and be damned.Doesn't prove anything except the dead can't sue.

Sure Paul was a good man,same wife,and the press never touched badly on his private life,and I'm sure they would if there had been even a hint of scandal.

Scandal sells wether its newsprint or books. Some people court it as is the case of one pathetic "celeb" is doing now in the papers. Others will buy it and pick over the so called revelations like vultures. I would rather judge people by what they added to our lives. Most people have a skeleton in the cupboard which is best left where it is.

Hello there, I have not read the book, simply a review of it in yesterdays Daily Express, the authur claims Newman had affairs with half
the stars in Hollywood both male and female over the years. This same man has written simalar books about other actors so it is difficult to how
much of it is true, Joanne Woodward was his second wife by the way.
cheers Bernard

All I can say is I enjoyed his films what he gets up to in his private life is his business and the same goes for all of them.

If they entertain me thats all I want:)

Hello Bernard, I would have thought that if you lived in Hollywood having affairs was almost obligatory. It always had the name for loose morals from the time they built the place. One of the first scandals was Fatty Arbuckle who some now believe was the victim of a blackmail plot.
The scandals may have been shocking at one time but these days seem pretty tame. Does it really dim the stardom of the actors and actresses who gave ,and still give, so much pleasure and enjoyment ? Ithink not. Hollywood was /is like ancient Rome where normal rules of behaviour did not apply.

regards ...arkrite

The author of this book seems to have had a far more juicy life than Newman.

Someone has quite rightly commented "Having read the salacious biographies of Steve McQueen, Marlon Brando, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, and Shelley Winters, isn't it strange that none of the authors have mentioned their subjects having a 'fling' with Paul Newman. I am sure that had they uncovered such rumours, they would have included them in their books......"

The rest of the article is here:-

https://www.express.co.uk/posts/vie...Behind-The-Baby-Blues-His-Secret-Life-Exposed

Dead men can't defend themselves, but it's no one's business than Newman's own!

Maurice :cool:

I was a great fan of Paul Newman and I enjoyed the films I saw of his - I don't care who he slept with - none of my business. Miriam.

I'ts the same old story write something about someone when they are gone, and can't answer back.
Scandal if it's true or not, sells, and that's the whole crux of the matter.
For what it's worth I have walked and driven the whole lengh of Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Strip, and they are the pits.

I think he was a brilliant actor and as others have said his private life was his own.

I think we all have ideals of actors and think their private life mirrors the screen image.

I thought Rock Hudson was a sexy gorgeous ladies man,he was sexy and gorgeous but not a ladies man.

Paul Newmans Life was his own he contributed a lot not just in films but also motor racing.. whatever he did in his private life did not detract from what he was admired for his acting ability :)

Back