• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Patrick O''brian

Actongrumpy

The Quinton Kid
The one thing that really disappoints me is reading a brilliant book only to find that the author hasn’t written another one! Fortunately, Patrick O’Brian has written umpteen including my favourite the Aubrey/Maturin series - 20 books. I like these books so much that I’m reading them for the sixth time and I find something new every time. How boring am I? But I have never read a better researched series of books; books that require knowledge of so many different subjects.
The film ‘Master and Commander’ was made from a mishmash of two or more of these books but failed to capture the real essence which is the interaction between Aubrey and Maturin.
Thanks to Patrick O’Brian, I now know what Futtock Shrouds are but I wouldn’t like to climb them.

Back