• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Park Road, Aston

My father and grandparents and brother all lived at 166 Park Road..my g/father was a corn merchant and lived there many years, l know they had a big back yard where they kept their horse and trap along with chickens etc l know they were there in 1911 census, but had to move around 1922 for g/mothers health she suffered from asthma and l guess all that dust they stirred up did.nt help l know no.166 was just down on the left hand side past victoria road toward Aston Church.....Brenda

thanks brenda and i guess you are right about the dust...it would be no good at all for asthma sufferings and i be there was a lot of dust etc around in those days.

lyn

Sorry to be a nit picker....but it was Manor Road Girls School and not Aston Manor, which was built around 1969/70 in Philips Street on the old bomb peck....both Upper Thomas Street Senior Boys and Manor Road Girls pupils were transferred there....

its not nit picking john...we like to get our info right so thank you for the correction

lyn

I wonder they called the Girls school Manor Road (which is in Witton) when the school was on the corner of Vicarage Road and Sycamore Road ? Incidentally my Wife's aunt had a shop opposite the entrance which was very popular with the girls for sweets and 'pop'. Eric

Eric
did,nt your wife work for mr taylor the toy shop at the bottom of victoria road and by lichfied road aston

Astonian, yes after I left the RAF in 1956, during that period his Mother died and he offered to sell us her house in Erdington at a discounted price(we were living with her parents at the time in Vicarage Road) which we took and lived there 25 years (1962 t0 1987). He himself lived in Curdworth. A nice chap who served all through WW2. Eric

Astoness. Hello Lyn. Can you please tell me where the photos of Park Road came from? Thank you for all the things you post and all the advise and help that you give. regards

Mikejee many thanks, yes it is George Taylor - he actually moved from a shop at 2 Lichfield Road to Park Road. Carol
Hi Carolina,
My neighbour's first husband was called David, and his father was George Taylor who had a shop in Park Road. His mother was called Minnie. Are these the Taylors you mention?

Can you possibly remember how you asked for them so that I might( one day) get there and have a look myself. Many thanks for your patience and help.

no problems...go to the archives dept...ask to see the public works dept book which lists streets and roads they have photos of...you then have to fill out a form and make an appointment to view the photos....you must hold a CARN card to do this...if you dont have one just take some id with you...ie passport/driving licence so that you can apply for a CARN card....hope this is of help...

lyn

Once again many thanks for your help Lyn. Hopefully sometime this year I will go and have a look there.

ok and best of luck finding what you are looking for...oh you are allowed to take photos of the photos so take a camera

lyn

lynnrymond, My late Wife worked for a George Taylor in Lichfield Road, Aston in the '50's, but it was a Toy Shop, He lived in Curdworth, I gather it would be a different George Taylor - or would it ? Eric

lynnrymond, My late Wife worked for a George Taylor in Lichfield Road, Aston in the '50's, but it was a Toy Shop, He lived in Curdworth, I gather it would be a different George Taylor - or would it ? Eric
Hi Eric,
I believe this George Taylor ran a grocers shop in Park Road and lived in that area so I'm thinking your George would be a different one.
Lynn.

The second tram accident on Park Road, Aston. Viv

image.jpeg From the Birmingham Mail March 1940.

Vivienne do you know the year of that tram crash, as I lived in Queens Road, just a few hundred yards away in 1930-35 and again in 1943-48. Eric

Hi Eric, the crash in the photo is March 1940. The caption says there was an incident on the same spot "some years ago" but don't know the exact date. Viv.

The 1940 tram accident involved car 714 a 1925 built car of a batch of 30 (702 - 731). The problem. it appears, arose due a fault with a cracked controller spring combined with driver error. Nine other trams in this series were also withdrawn during December 1940 due to the roof of Witton tram depot collapsing on them. They were put into storage during the war but never re-entered service being broken up in June 1945. The remaining ones lasted until 1953.

Other items in this thread:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/park-rd-aston-tram.12206/

Last edited:
Back