• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

parish records

celia

master brummie
hi all
can anybody help me in the field of parish records
i have started researching my gx2 grandfarther edward morrall born 1814ish in morton baggott
so now im having to look up parish records
can anybody help me with this as i havent a clue what im looking for or how they work its all a mine field to me
i have been looking on ancestry and it might as well be greek to me lol
so if someone could send a little guildence my way i would be very great full
many thanx celia

The attached is from a pack sold by Staffordshire records office.

Sorry file too big will split it and re post

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

would this be him :-

Edward Morrall BAPTISED 6th february 1814 Morton Baggott Warwickshire

Parents : Edward and Elizabeth Morrall.

Parents may POSSIBLY be Edward and Eizabeth Farr who married 25th December 1809 at St Martins Church Birmingham

Also found Baptism of Edward Morrall (father) - Baptism 7 th March 1790 in Morton Baggott Warwickshire

Parents Edward Morrall and Ann Morrell

Last edited:
omg
where did you manage to find this i have spent all afternoon on one site or another trying to work out this parish thing
would it be worth going to birmingham central libray to see if they have parish records on file
once again many thanx for you help
celia xxxxx

Parish registers document from Staffordshire register office

hi guys
thankyou all very much for your help
i will be spending a quiet afternoon working out the parish records
you have all been a great help
once again thankyou very much
celia xxxxx

Hi Celia,

I got the baptism records from IGI , (International Gene whatsit Index!!)

put in your ancestors name use scroll down for Baptism/Birth/Marriage/Death and approximate year
Put in British Isles, then England and I usually leave the county blank, then search !

hi dianne

wwwooooo hhhooooo
ive found him
i did what you told to me to do and ive found edward morrall in the parish records :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::):):):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
but edward morrall has spelt his last name morrell
do you think through the way the records were writens and the fact that nobody could read or write the sprlling has changed over the years from "ell" to "all"
am i makeing sence
once again many thanx for you help
celia

Hi Celia,

Yes ! spelling is often a problem with Census and Parish records. It was often the case of "spell it as you say it" or have a wild guess !! I found one family member with Surname Shaw spelt Shores !

IGI is brilliant source for Parish Records ,, Just remember the golden rule .. never put in a specific county .. that way you get more results and sometimes you can find a few surprises!

hi dianne
i thought that would be the case on the surname front
i wonder at one point if i was looking at the wrong morrall
even though my name is not that common today the further back i go the more morrall's i find living in villages
but the more i look at it the more i feel its my edward so to speak
once again thankyou for your help
celia xxxxx
ps dont disapera i might need you in the future lol

I ahve read through this listing. Could someone please elaborate on the process for me.
1. I search the freepages on rootsweb.
2. Select the church and search
3. Obtain the batch number of what appears to be the person I am researching.
4.With this number i follow up by????????????????? I guess I have to search something and these numbers are my reference starting point.

This has probably been suggested to me beforehand and I am not sure that I took it on board,. Looking forward to hearing all advice.

Ellie,
Click on the link that Bordsley Exile posted.
Click on the county you are looking for.
Click on the parish you want.
On the left are births on right are marriages
type in the name you are searching(top right)
This confused me and I wrote it,happy hunting.

They were saved in textmaker ( clone of word. ) if you need I will power up my old comp and send them to you in word.

No, please do not power up your old computer to access the documents, Mike. I will try to work round it myself, but thank you for your kind offer.

Back