• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paradise Circus

Not sure if I know of anyone Maurice but there was a campaign to preserve it.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Ha ha, Bernard, if they could have afforded to preserve it, they wouldn't have needed to spend 189 million quid on a new one!

Maurice

I expect those that wanted to save it did not live in Birmingham and had only seen pictures of it in architect's magazines

Very difficult to know what thread to put this on, as it ties up with both Chamberlain Square and the Paradise development, but is there anywhere that one can see the planner's dream that is going to be the new Paradise/Chamberlain Square area? In the past I have stayed at the Copthorne and also used the old concrete library and most admit that there was a degree of 'grot' around the area, but the walk up Broad Street was always worthwhile and it was easy to go the other way down into town (sorry old habits die hard) - to the City, but I would be interested to see what it is going to look like eventually

Bob

Moderators if this is the wrong place, move it to a more appropriate one
Thanks

Think I've mentioned this before. My office was moved into Alpha Tower but it took a long time to take place because of the health and safety checks on the windows. They were virtually floor to ceiling windows (except for a small glass panel along the low window sill) around both sides of the building. We were told that one of the H&S checks on the windows involved some (brave - or stupid?) officer throwing themselves at the windows. Don't know how much truth there was in that.

The move of our office from Windsor House (above Rackhams/House of Fraser) to AT was a big, big change. Alpha Tower rose out of Suffolk Street Queensway like something from the future. Ultra-modern and fantastic views. We sometimes got to see celebs in the Holiday Inn behind the building. Was a nice distraction from the hum drum jobs we were doing. We were near the top (24th floor) the downside of which being fire drills when lifts couldn't be used. Trailing down those stairways (located on each edge of the building) was very disorientating.

I've always loved the design, one of the few modern buildings I like. Viv.

Yes Carolina but you would have thought , a contingency of some sort would have been built in to avoid such calamity's happening . Something that makes B,ham CC look ridiculous

Paradise Circus from the Library of Birmingham, November 2019, during tram testing.

Tram on a test.

From the end of Paradise Street, a few days before the tram extension went into public use. Early December 2019.

Tram now in service taking passengers from Library towards Town Hall.

Back