• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Panda Cars Birmingham

A

adamwadley

Hi I wounder if any one can help me,

My Father died a few months ago at the age of 45, and before he died he said that he always wanted to find his picture which was placed in the Evening Mail Paper of him and a police officer with the first panda car. I have asked my Gran of the date and she reckons it was around 1966, However i asked my great grandfather and he seems to be under the impression that it was around 1967. Can any one please help me out with the date. The picture i believe was taken in Lawrence Street and my father was only a young boy at the time.

Any help would be greatly recieved

Many Thanks

Adam

many thanks for the link that is a help but i just need find a rough date other wise i got to go through 2 years worth of papers at the central libary (which i dont fancy)

According to the book "Police Cars" by Malcolm Bobbitt
"When Birmingham introduced Panda Cars in 1967 the force had already carried out a successful pilot scheme in the City..................... Birmingham remained loyal to Longbridge, purchasing a fleet of Austin A40 MkII's".........................

Hope this helps
Chocks:)

col h,you have made my day.
The police officer standing next to the A40 in Erdington is my late father,Tom Moore.

What a lovely bonus for you Alberta i would say the photo was taken on the lyndhurst estate while under construction.Dek

col h,you have made my day.
The police officer standing next to the A40 in Erdington is my late father,Tom Moore.

Strange, I ad a feeling it might be, probably the same photo shoot.
I remember the 1100s, I wonder if they were lower geared than the standard ones. They had a distinctive whine as if they were always in third, you could hear em coming from miles away.

Thought you would like to take a look at this car. Took the photo at Arley and there were some really old cars there. Jean.

Back