• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Packwood House

mike jenks

master brummie
Hi

weather hot today.
Had a lovely afternoon at Packwood House near
Knowle. The house is Famous for the Huge yew
trees that form the Sermon on the Mount.
great walk in the Garden and through the woods.
Close to home but hardly visit the place.

Mike

Hi

Following my recent visit to Packwood house I thought
about the people who had lived there.
I knew it now owned by The Nat Trust and its origins went
back to Family known as the Fetherston's.
What would the 1841 to 1901 Census's show.
I have attached my findings.
From the Landed Gentry to Brummie Iron Mongers.

Mike

Well done Mike, very informative and easy to read. It's amazing what you can find out about a building and it's occupants :) :)

Last edited:
Nice piece of work Mike, I hope you went on to Baddesley Clinton a wonderful moated manor house which is another intresting place just down the road from Packwood House .....
Very intresting what you wrote about the Ash Family and its amazing how one thing leads to another........

Thanks Mike for all that information, i visited the house in 1999, my sister was living at that time in Lapworth and she took us to visit. It is a lovely place and more interesting now i know more about it's history. There is another house near to where i live, it's called Levens Hall. The grounds have beautiful gardens and like Packwood the Yew trees are trimmed into ornate shapes, the house is very similar in shape to Packwood, it is Elizabethan, the topiary gardens were designed by the former gardener to King James 2nd. Regards Jackie.

For thirty years I lived no more than half a mile from both Packwood House and Baddesley Clinton, I visited Packwood House once and never went inside the house at Baddesley although I did go around the gardens and to the church, I guess I was always too busy with other things, it's strange how you don't visit whats on your doorstep.

Baddesley Clinton

Hi

Started before I went to Dundee for a week to see my Son.
Cromwell put me on to this one..
Have tried to cover it Similiar to Packwood house with the Census records from 1841 to 1901. These in themselves create further searches on Families living there.
It is a house of mysteries.

Mike Jenks

Yet another fantastic piece of work Mike, it's real interesting looking at the census to see who lived in these properties, and really brings the property more to life, you can relate to the places with names. I find your work easy to read, much better than looking through the booklet that you can purchase from these houses. Well done :) :)

Bit more flesh on the bones Mike

The child of Constance Charlotte (nee Ferrers) and Boydell Croxton was
Henry Ferrers Croxon (who later changed his name to Henry Ferrers Ferrers)
who married Beatrice Mary Petre of Coptfold Hall Essex
they had four children

Edward A J Ferrers (1881 –1934) (who inherited Baddesley in 1923) =Lillian Rowe

Francis C.C.Ferrers who Joined the Royal West Surrey Regt 21338 and was transferred to Lancashire Fusiliers 47991 Lc/Cpl.2nd & 6th Batt Killed in Action at Pozieres 21st March 1918

Bernard C.Ferrers

Cecil Ralph Ferrers (who inherited Baddesley in 1934 on the death of his brother) Had no means of maintaining the House and sold the contents of the house to Mr Baron Ash of Packwood House then sold Baddesley Clinton to Thomas Walker (who changed his name to Ferrers) in 1940 he died in 1970 and his son

T.W.Ferrers – Walker sold Baddesley to the Government in 1980 then it was conveyed to The National Trust

Last edited by a moderator:
Pic I took of Packwood a long time ago (colours are changing) and a B&W pic took from the side (from the left of the coloured pic )

Packwood

The Yew garden for which Packwood House is most famous is said to represent 'The Sermon on the Mount' is probably early eighteenth century​

About a stones throw from Yew Tree garden is the Sunken garden was created in its present form by Mr Ash, and at one time a large lawn lying next to the house enclosed many flower beds. These were removed during World War 11 when the staff were no longer there for maintenance

Can I see Chris on the bridge going into Baddesley ?
And look who I found by the Old Beehives at Packington ..Pom

Baddesley Clinton was restored in 1940 during the Battle of Britain

The Battle of Britain only lasted two months, between August and September 1940.
They did very well to restore it in such a short time. ???

You have to read between the lines they mean 1940 not during actual battle ......as it was sporadic

The Baddesley Clinton Church lies hidden in the very heart of Warwickshire, like a jewel. And has a 15th century chancel with old timbers in its black and white roof, a 15th century nave with its original roof and clerestory, and a tower with a turret stairway and eight gargoyles. Note the chimney on the roof close to the tower which was built 400 years ago by Nicholas Brome ‘in remorse having killed a priest; all who come walk over his dust’, as he was buried in an upright position in the doorway as you enter, see last photo (I moved the mat)..... and we see him as he was in the 16th century glass of the east window, the greatest treasure in the church. In the middle of this window, glowing with red, blue and gold, are members of the great families here, with scenes of the Crucifixion, St George and the dragon, and Catherine with her wheel. Kneeling below them is the armoured figure of Nicholas Brome the tower builder, and facing him is Sir Edward Ferrers with his wife Bridget. In the top corner of the window kneels another Edward Ferrers with three sons facing his wife and five daughters. There is a 17th century screen and an ancient chest, and in the chancel a big canopied altar tomb, richly red and brightly painted. Here in 1535 they laid Sir Edward Ferrers, the first of 12 generations who were carried from the manor house to this last resting place.
Almost hidden by trees is the house, with a wide moat that may have been there since Norman times and is crossed by a bridge about 250 years old. As gracious a house as we could wish to find in Old England, it has venerable walls and an embattled gate tower with all charm the Tudor builders could give them, mullioned windows, Timbered gables, and tall brick chimneys. There is a 15th century tower and a magnificent oak door enriched with linenfold (Straight mouldings in the form of folded linen) studded with nails, still on the ponderous hinges on which it has been swinging to and fro for 500 years. The hall has windows glowing with shields, and one of the possessions of the house is the 16thcentury brass portrait of a lady (Elizabeth Brome) in a heraldic mantle.
In the days when the Roman Catholics were being persecuted by the Protestants many priests found a safe hiding place in a little room below the level of the moat, for the Ferrers were staunch Catholics. The story is told that the priest hunters arrived while a conference was meeting here and six priests were saved by rushing to hide.
But of all the Ferrers who lived there the most notable was Henry, lord of the manor for 70 years he wrote verses much praised in Elizabeth's day. A man of great culture and a notable antiquarian, he was born in 1549 and was the friend of Sir William Dugdale and old William Camden, entertaining them in his beautiful home and helping them with their histories.

Nice engraving of Baddesley Clinton Hall

Thanks for that interesting piece of history Graham – and what a lovely old church you describe…

That would be a time when the Protestants were in power and Catholics were persecuted and killed. To protect Catholic priests a special provision would be made to hide those who were under the threat of a death sentence - if discovered and caught they would be tortured to death by the English government….

Then came Titus Oates who was involved with the Jesuit houses – who later claimed that he had pretended to become a Catholic to learn about the secrets of the Jesuits –

I am glad I didn’t live in those days!

Lovely engraving. I thought it looked wonderful on TV's Sky High from the air on Thursday evening.

These historical pictures stir my imagination –

A wondrous natural ancient church rises just above – not been the only one to bow to reverence here –gazing around me on the tranquil floor – once their beds, a favourite sanctuary of white tailed deer……

Eyes begin to focus more clearly in early light – spy animal tracks – hear his pious howl linger in the air … Then look at trunks of magnificent trees spot a bear’s claw marks as he too gazed up there –

Think of primitive men and beasts –take their reverence for nature any day - Others can have their fancy modern churches made of brick and steel I prefer this ancient church and here is where I'll pray……..

Baddesley Clinton

Hi

Had a great day yesterday at Baddesley Clinton.
It was Hertiage Weekend so we were able to
walk around the House and Gardens.
The house poured out its atmoshere.
Sadly they are having to raise £10,000 to prevent
Land Speculators from buying land around the grounds.
Terrible times with this people creeping all over the place.
Enclosed a few of Brenda's pictures of the day.

Mike Jenks

Great photos Mike. Thanks for posting them. Those dahlia beds are
the best so colourful. The entrance with the moat caught my eye. Not too many places around with a moat these days.

Could you please hunt through the photos that you all took of Packwood House, for a red brick cottage with an archway in Packwood Towers, and if one of you possibly took a photo of it could you please post it for me. It used to be a windmill and was converted to a house in the early 20th century. I would be so gratefull and a big thankyou :) :)

Back