• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Our childhood toys

That little case held a spanner and a inner tube repair kit plus, I think a tyre lever.

That little case held a spanner and a inner tube repair kit plus, I think a tyre lever.

Incidentally the advertisement was in the Evening Sentinel, with circulation based around Stoke-on-Trent.

I remember had a bike for Christmas from Youngs Cycles Coventry Road Hay Mills. Many moons ago.

Surprised that "search" doesn't show that someone has not extolled the joy of Subbuteo! Strictly speaking I never had a Subbuteo but the earlier version which I remember was called "Newfooty" or something very similar. Hours of enjoyment in 1950's

I loved mine I like the ratchet ticket machine the noise it made . They used to ask us what we wanted to be when we grew up, at school. it was jobs like a bus conductor, a nurse, a train driver, lorry driver, maybe what your dad did, I wanted to be a vet, me who can't stand blood & was afraid to pick an animal up. Now they want to be space people & stunt people , pop stars & film stars , note the word people.Thanks for the memory.

Last edited:
I loved mine I like the ratchet ticket machine the noise it made . They used to ask us what we wanted to be when we grew up, at school. it was jobs like a bus conductor, a nurse, a train driver, lorry driver, maybe what your dad did, I wanted to be a vet, me who can't stand blood & was afraid to pick an animal up. Now they want to be space people & stunt people , pop stars & film stars , note the word people.Thanks for the memory.
My son wanted to be a vet when he was around 11 too, but after my mother pointed out that the animals that he would be treating would be ill, there would be blood involved and that some of them would die, he soon changed his mind. :mask: He's a teacher now. ;)

I must have lived under a rock, I never remember subbuteo or new footy :-(
Some things we just don't remember or didn't have. I never knew what Subuteo was really, were they a bit like Kelly dolls.? If so I never saw the point. Never heard of new footy. I wasn't sure about Totopoly either or Cluedo. I liked Twister but as an only, it wasn't practical. I played a lot of games with my invisible friends and teddies. Nan when she had the time, mum rarely had the time, as she worked, only when auntie came to visit things got going. Or when I had a friend round but we did a lot of roll play or preferred to be outside. When I family did play, I was made up.

Some things we just don't remember or didn't have. I never knew what Subuteo was really, were they a bit like Kelly dolls.? If so I never saw the point. Never heard of new footy. I wasn't sure about Totopoly either or Cluedo. I liked Twister but as an only, it wasn't practical. I played a lot of games with my invisible friends and teddies. Nan when she had the time, mum rarely had the time, as she worked, only when auntie came to visit things got going. Or when I had a friend round but we did a lot of roll play or preferred to be outside. When I family did play, I was made up.
I had numerous invisible friends! Never knew about Kelly dolls or totopoly either.

Back