• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Osbornes

H

harborne

:tickedoff:

I've search till I'm blue in the face for John Osborne's Marriage to Jane between the years of 1876 and 1880, in Birmingham. John was born in Burslem, Stoke on Trent in 1856; his birth was easier to find than his marriage. His father was Henry Osborne, born in Birmingham in 1819 and that's another dead end because I can't find out who his parents were.

Has anyone access to the parish records in Birmingham? If so, could they help me find these pieces of information? Both events were in Birmingham/Aston, I believe.

:'(

Harborne

two possibles between 1878 and 1881
John Osborne married Jane Colesby June quarter 1878 Birmingham 6d 14
John George Osborne married Jane Webber June quarter 1881 Aston 6d 284
these are the only two that are a close match within this time frame

Hi Harborne. If this is your John on the 1881, and I'm not certain as he gives his birth place as Birmingham, his eldest child would have been born about 1873. Have you looked for an earlier marriage between John and Jane.

Dwelling: 20 Gt Russell St
Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341715     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 2992    Folio 93    Page 22
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John OSBORN M 25 M Birmingham
Rel: Head
Occ: Brassfounder
Jane OSBORN M 27 F Birmingham
Rel: Wife
Henry OSBORN 8 M Birmingham
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
John OSBORN 3 m M Birmingham
Rel: Son

:angel: Here's some possibles for HENRY 1881 Census.

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Henry OSBOURN   Head   W   Male   62   Worcester, England   Farm Labourer     
Clara STOKES   Daur   M   Female   29   Worcester, England       
Joseph STOKES   Boarder   M   Male   30   Walsall, Stafford, England   Bit Filer     
William H. STOKES   G Son      Male   11   Walsall, Stafford, England   Scholar     
Arthur J. STOKES   G Son      Male   7   Walsall, Stafford, England   Scholar     
Elizabeth STOKES   G Daur      Female   6   Walsall, Stafford, England   Scholar     
Ann STOKES   G Daur      Female   3           
Emma OSBOURN   Daur   U   Female   24   Worcester, England       
Henry OSBOURN   Son      Male   18   Walsall, Stafford, England   (Art) Caster     
Mary OSBOURN   Daur      Female   17   Walsall, Stafford, England   Bridle Stitcher     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
  Dwelling   Maw Green
  Census Place Walsall Foreign, Stafford, England
  Family History Library Film   1341677
  Public Records Office Reference   RG11
  Piece / Folio   2828 / 93
  Page Number   38

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Henry OSBORNE   Head   M   Male   62   Bham, Warwick, England   Brassfounder     
Sarah OSBORNE   Wife   M   Female   61   Wolverhampton, Stafford, England   Housewife     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
  Dwelling   72 New John St West
  Census Place Birmingham, Warwick, England
  Family History Library Film   1341715
  Public Records Office Reference   RG11
  Piece / Folio   2994 / 20
  Page Number   34

Hope it helps

Chris :angel:

:eek:

Thanks all of you, for your help and Pomgolian you gave me the right families - Henry and Sarah and John and Jane. I have Henry's family through to present day but not his parents, I can't find them. With regard to John's marriage to Jane, thanks John but how do I tell which marriage was my John's? Can you help me there?

Sorry to be a pain! :(

if you find him on the 1881 census its Jane Colesby if not its Jane Webber as Jane Colesby is before 1881 census and Jane Webber is June 1881 which is after the census

Oh, brilliant, why didn't I think of that?! I thought I was going to have to get the two marriage certificates and hope the fathers' names were different.

Thanks so much for that, John.

Happy Easter.

Harborne :D ;D

have you made any connection with the famous Osbourne (OZZIE) even in is family history they have several different spellings of the name Osbourne there is a little bit about the Osbornes in this months "Your Family Tree magazine number 37 May 2006 this side of the Osborne were living in Paddington street just off Summer lane in the 1901 census I have a copy of the census entry if you need any info on it 

:)

It's funny you should mention this, John, because I've always been convinced we're related; ever since the 60s when I first knew about him and I've got all the music Sabbath and he made with him on vocals because I just can't resist his voice! Also he strongly resembles my mother, whose father was George Herbert Osborne. His brother was called John and there were other Johns in the family before, so it's quite poss we related, further back. Can't find out for certain though because I can only go as far as the 1901 census. We all lived within 2 or 3 miles of each other in the early days, though. We lived in Hockley when I was small, whilst he was living in Lodge Road. It is interesting. At times I feel quite proud my family could be related, then I do and hear the things about Ozzie's past again and cringe! Just the same, I feel that deep down, he's a good guy.

I would be interested in having a look at any census info you have - maybe I'd be able to glean something from that.

Chris :) :smiley6600:

Hi before i start are you Dopeyharborne from bbc family tree site as do not want to kept asking the same question. I was Born In hockley 2 back 223 Brearley Street.My father was bernard Osborne with three Children Jayne ,Gail, Stewart. I am looking fpr my grandfathers family

Gail

Hi Gail

Brearley Street does ring a bell with me; we lived in Hunters Road. I've traced my Osbornes back to 1819 and possibly further but there are no Fredericks there at all. It's quite possible that most of the Birmingham Osbornes are related, far back, but you've only got to watch two generations spread in your own family to see how people lose touch one way or another. My grandfather's name was George Herbert and he had brothers called John, Alfred, William and Henry. His mother's name was Jane and his father was also called John. John Osborne's father was Henry Astley Osborn b. 1819. As you can see, there is an Alfred in the family, but that is the only one I know of.

Hope this helps even if it's only in the process of elimination.

Chris :smiley6600: :)

When did you alfred die mine was dead by 1928. My brother was call stewart bernard after his father and john after my fathers uncle who I do not know.My grandfather died in 1939 when my father was only 10years old and my grandmother died in 1963 when i was only 6 and a half.my father died in 1990 so have very little info on the osbornes.What would you suggest, I have applied for my grandfathers army records not sure what will be in them. Do you think a trip to birmingham records would help.

Gail

Hi Again

My Alfred was still alive in 1937 so they can't be the same family. I think if you've posted yours on Genes Reunited you should get help, sooner or later. Failing that you could try going to Birmingham but I know from my own experience there were so many Henry and John Osbornes around at the time that it's very confusing and you would have to have more precise dates and places, I think. I'm not an expert myself. The only reason I know my Osbornes is because of word of mouth from my mother.

I wish I could help you more and wish you lots of luck in finding yours.

Chris :(

Ozzy Osbournes father was called Jack.

Jacks brother, Leonard, was my paternal grandfather.

My father, Raymond Leonard (b.1937 d.1995) managed to get quite a way back with the family history with some part of the family originating in Chesterfield !! My uncle Roy has dads research stuff. I'll see if I can get hold of some more info off him and post it on here

By the way, JH is correct about the spelling - Ozzy's dad's surname is spelt Osborne whilst the Prince of Darkness is OSBOURNE ??????? Strange.

Hello Tonyoz

How far back have you got with your Osbornes? When did they leave Chesterfield? My lot have come from Birmingham for 200 years or more and there are Johns (or Jacks) in the family, but before that, I don't know where they came from. Just wondered if you could possibly help me go further back with mine at all?

Harborne :-\ :crazy2:

Hi Tonyoz

If you get two messages, sorry, but have checked and the first one I sent has gone into a black hole so I'm doing it again!

Just wondered how far back you can go with your Osbornes... and when did they leave Chesterfield? We have Johns (Jacks) in our family and a strong family resemblance to Ozzy and his dad (saw him on telly quite recently and he reminded me of my grandad and my mother features them both). Also have a photo of my sister when she was quite a bit younger and Amy resembles her. I'm just curious, you understand, because to my mind I think we must have all come off the same tree in the first place, and you may be able to help me, therefore, with my family history...?

Harborne :-\ :crazy2:

Back