1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. All of the moderators are working very hard to tidy up the Forum posts, as you can imagine 15 years tidying takes a lot of time. Quite a bit of this is taken up with off topic posts It would be helpful in future if members could keep their posts relevant to the thread Title,those that are not will be deleted. Thanks.

Opposite Lock Club

Discussion in 'Fun Fairs' started by the doc, Apr 16, 2008.

1. the doc

the doc Guest

Does anyone remember the "Opposite Lock" Club ??

It was on a canal in Birmingham on the Broad Street side of the city and you entered the club from the canal bank (Canal Street?).

It was very lively place and the DJ was an avid Birmingham City FC fan who punctuated the evening's gyrations with "Keep Right On To The End OF The Road". From memory it was one pound for annual membership or 2/6d for visitors.

It was there last time I looked 45 years ago but no doubt has long disappeared. Anyone know what happened to it ??

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2008
  2. Alf

Alf Our Resident Diplomat

Birmingham Night Clubs

Yes Doc and was a Member of the Green Room happy days:)

This is the page for night Clubs Doc

http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4001

SNAP WENDY

I think it's now legs eleven.There is some info on this thread.

http://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4001&highlight=clubs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2008
  3. Brunetteandred

Brunetteandred Brummie babby

I had my 18th birthday party there' in 'Martin's Room' (the members room) in 1980. It was a fantastic club. My friend George, was a commis chef there (remember the bistro?) and the chef was Colin (I think). Frank was a bouncer. I met Kate Bush & 10CC there too! Happy, happy days.

4. Vivienne14

Vivienne14 Super Moderator Staff Member

Was Martin's Room the place with the Chesterfield sofas and waiter service? I also remember there being a TV room where you could watch MOTD, full of blokes of course! Great club. Viv.

5. G G Jean

G G Jean Brummy Wench.

Oh yes I remember it well. Jean.

6. sylviasayers

sylviasayers master brummie

I spent many a happy night there in the mid 60s.

7. carolina

carolina master brummie

[​IMG]……..[​IMG]

8. Laurie

Laurie knowlegable brummie

Hello,
    Hope I'm doing this right as I'm a bit green at this lark.
    I was a resident musician at the Lock from 1973 to 1975 and martin Hone was my manager for a while. I notice on the poster that it mentions his agency which was called OLE!
    Anything I can help with information wise I'd be happy to do so.
    Be the first one on your block. Turn on to the Opposite Lock!
    Laurie

9. Laurie

Yes, Colin was the chef and Frank McLiddy managed the club. he also acted as the DJ calling himself Frankie Lee. Frank now is at the Tally Ho club, as was Colin, but he's gone now

10. Laurie

The room where you watched Match Of The Day was the Venus Room, up the stairs. next room along was Martin's Room with the sofas and waitress service. Barbara, Elaine, Janet and Betty. I'm shaking at the memories!

11. Laurie

The entrance to the Lock was up the steps at the bottom of Gas Street. It's a Legs 11 type of place now. The last time i was along the towpath, the old King Arthur's Court medaeival banqeting suite is now a chip shop. The DJ would have been Roger 'Our Man Harris'.

12. Alf

Alf Our Resident Diplomat

:1013:
    Sure was Viv:1024::MusicMarchingBand::1011:

13. barryth1949

barryth1949 proper brummie kid

In 1966 I worked at Pauline Mayman`s the sports car and accessory shop in Broad St. I rememember a guy with a beard coming in to show us plans for a club he wanted to locate in an old building in Gas St. We thought he was mad...he wasn`t of course...He also bought us the motor race around the streets...Is Martin still around ?

14. Laurie

I last saw Martin about 6 or 7 years ago. He was running a company called International Festivals which organised car rallys all over the place. His office was at 42 Gas Street but then he moved the office over to Broome by Ragley Hall.
    He was also heavily involved with the church on the Parade, Spring Hill

15. g1ygj

g1ygj Born in Edgbaston.

Just out of interest: http://8w.forix.com/bsp-66.html

Martin Hone and other members of his family were very good customers at the tailoring shop in Hall Green where I worked during the mid 1960s.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  16. Old & Grey

Old & Grey master brummie

Steady you know it's not good for your heart at your age :smug: