• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

One for the 'Trainspotters'

Supposed to have seen 70014 IRON DUKE today traveling to Canterbury but held up by leaves on the lines.Never heard of a Steam Train doing that before.

Supposed to have seen 70014 IRON DUKE today traveling to Canterbury but held up by leaves on the lines.Never heard of a Steam Train doing that before.
no nore me, they had plows on the front and pushed every thing out the way,snow,leafs, me lol. never known any weather stop em

Well, leaves and wet rails do bring some steam locomotives to a standstill. The steep grades in Devon and the famous Lickey Bank to name two places. That's why steam locomotives needed banking engines to help push. Somevisitng locomotives to the Dartmouth Steam Railway (Paignton to Kingswear) often have failed to make the steep climb from Goodrington (sea level) to Churston (200ft. asl) - usually those from the former Southern Regions - SPAM cans for instance. I know this is genuine - I saw it! :scream: The continuation is Part 2. The tank engine name is Goliath! ;)

Last edited:
Well, leaves and wet rails do bring some steam locomotives to a standstill. The steep grades in Devon and the famous Lickey Bank to name two places. That's why steam locomotives needed banking engines to help push. Somevisitng locomotives to the Dartmouth Steam Railway (Paignton to Kingswear) often have failed to make the steep climb from Goodrington (sea level) to Churston (200ft. asl) - usually those from the former Southern Regions - SPAM cans for instance. I know this is genuine - I saw it! :scream: The continuation is Part 2. The tank engine name is Goliath! ;)
Great video...……..

Just going back to the start of this thread 2013,4464 Bittern is now in the Margate Hornby Steam Museum which they have just opened

Back