• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

On going Project of Virtual Reality of Video for Little Shadwell and Shadwell Street 1880s

ASY

master brummie
Hi ! For the that last few months, I have been working on creating a virtual video project for my upcoming blog, I thought I would share a sneak peek with you all!
1f3a5.png
attached are some initial stills of Little Shadwell and Shadwell Street.
1f3e0.png
✏️
. I create all the virtual buildings and people myself, using old black and white photos which I then make a drawing of and then colour in, to hopefully create a scene that replicates what life might have been in the 1880s

This is just the beginning! The video will take you on a journey through the two streets, and then eventually entering into a courtyard, and inside a back-to-back, giving you a virtual reality glimpse of how cramped life actually was.

This is taking me quite a few hours each day to create each building etc, so needing a little motivation to carry on, so would be nice to get a feed back and reaction to this. Cheers Andy

Attachments

• Shadwell Street 6.jpg
    Shadwell Street 6.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Shadwell Street GunMakers Arms.jpg
    Shadwell Street GunMakers Arms.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Shadwell Street 2.jpg
    Shadwell Street 2.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Shadwell Street 3.jpg
    Shadwell Street 3.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Shadwell Street 5.jpg
    Shadwell Street 5.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 25
hi andy well your project gets my vote....we need to keep the history of birmingham alive so i will look forward to your virtual video when it is completed

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: ASY
Hi ! For the that last few months, I have been working on creating a virtual video project for my upcoming blog, I thought I would share a sneak peek with you all!
1f3a5.png
attached are some initial stills of Little Shadwell and Shadwell Street.
1f3e0.png
✏️
. I create all the virtual buildings and people myself, using old black and white photos which I then make a drawing of and then colour in, to hopefully create a scene that replicates what life might have been in the 1880s

This is just the beginning! The video will take you on a journey through the two streets, and then eventually entering into a courtyard, and inside a back-to-back, giving you a virtual reality glimpse of how cramped life actually was.

This is taking me quite a few hours each day to create each building etc, so needing a little motivation to carry on, so would be nice to get a feed back and reaction to this. Cheers Andy
The sounds interesting Andy, I can see you have put a lot of work into it. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am looking forward to see your first video

• Appreciate
Reactions: ASY
hi andy you have most likely seen the below thread but if not there are some old photos on it that you may find useful

lyn

hi andy you have most likely seen the below thread but if not there are some old photos on it that you may find useful

lyn

I

lyn

I did thank you Lyn, there’s not to many on Shadwell Street but using your thread and the 1880s maps, the Britain from above website and some new and old photos are giving me a good idea of the dimensions and look of the buildings. Some creative license of exact look is required but in general it’s working.

Hi to all

I have completed my virtual video for Shadwell and Little Shadwell Street and a bit of Bath Street for the 1880s. The video itself though is 5mins long and can be seen on my blog post along with photos and an explanation of how I made all the buildings, objects, people etc.

It was a very long process to create and I have tried to replicate as much as possible to give authenticity. I was going to add audio for street life and factory sounds but it made it more of a home movie rather than an informative video.

Let me know what you think, the end of the video has a section on the inside of a back-to-back

Cheers Andy

I was going to post a shortened version of the video here but is just images that can be uploaded?

link to video and blog post here
Video Cover Page.jpg

An impressive product. Just one point. The gunmakers were taken over by M & B in 1959, so would not have had Mitchell and Butlers (as well as Atkinson signs) on it.

An impressive product. Just one point. The gunmakers were taken over by M & B in 1959, so would not have had Mitchell and Butlers (as well as Atkinson signs) on it.
ah I did not know that, found it a bit hard to find too many pictures for those streets. A little artistic license shall we say....

I don't have a date but The Gunmakers Arms was, Pike And Musket. I've spent hours trying to find out when yet to find the date.

Nick Phillips

It seems the gunmakers was that by 1850. From Aris Birm ingham Gazette 23.12.1850

Gunmakers Arms Aris Birm gaz. 23,12,1850.jpg

Excellent work Andy, I don’t underestimate the amount of time and dedication you have put into this creation.

Back