• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Out of all the picture houses in the area tyseley was the real flee pit. We would only go there if the film we wanted to see wasn't being shown anywhere else.

Though I lived in Sparkbrook can't remember ever going to The Tyseley. It can't have been because it was a flea pit as when I was a kid I went to The Olympia in Ladypool Rd (The Lane to us locals!).
Cheer Tim

Anyone familiar with Stoney Lane in the 50s? When I lived in Leamington Rd I went to the barber on Stoney Lane (0pposite Wilton Rd). You can see the barber's pole in this photo so, it must have been there some time. He used to have a plank of wood to rest on the arms of the chair so that us kids were up to his level. He had hand clippers which were warmed in a rack on a little gas fire. The one thing I noticed about the man himself was that he always seemed to be whistling "Beautiful Dreamer". Incidentally, the shop next door (next to the entry) was a fish & chip shop which my aunt Betty & Uncle Frank Middleham ran about 1954. Loved those free chips!

Attachments

• shops opposite Wilton Rd.jpg
    shops opposite Wilton Rd.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 116
Banjo

My father in Law spent the whole of his working life working just over the road from your photo at Thompsons Glass from 14 to 70 years of age except for the war years. When he retired they gave him the sum total of £100 as a retirement gift and no pension. I know what my parting words would have been and I know where the £100 would have been, but my father in law was a gentleman.

emily st courtyard...love the cat on the roof..

img860.jpg

corner of alcester st and cheapside....1950s...just done a street walk and it looks like the church you can see is still there...

img859.jpg
So good to see this picture. This was my Great grandparents (Brooks) shop my grandparents lived at the back. My mother lives there too. Mom said brings back so many memories

Hi Carol

Welcome to you, I don't think you meant to post the same quote 3 times so I have deleted the two extra ones. I have also posted some more photos of Emily Street one looking down Emily Street from the Emily Arms where they built St Martins Flats and the other two are Emily Terrace that once stood in Emily Street and disappeared under the flats.

Attachments

• Highgate Emily Terrace Emily St (1).JPG
    Highgate Emily Terrace Emily St (1).JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Highgate Emily Terrace Emily Street.JPG
    Highgate Emily Terrace Emily Street.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Highgate Emily St 1934.JPG
    Highgate Emily St 1934.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 86
I'v been trying to decide where to put this picture. I thought I'd park it here and then it could be moved if necessary. Erdington Market, late 1920's. It must be Sutton New Road in the background. I understand the market moved to the other side of the road, its present position, possibly when Woolworths was built?

Attachments

• BHF0012.jpg
    BHF0012.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 87
I think I misunderstood and downsized all my photos even the ones that didn't need it. It was taken by Arnold Martin on 28th June 1929. It was the site of the market I was wondering about.

I need some help please! Last night my friend bought round some pictures that she and her father had taken in the 1960's. Unfortunately they are on slides. There are about a dozen or so and some show the construction of the Aston Expressway, others are of Salford Bridge before the carnage. We had them on the screen with our old projector last night. Really good.

With a bit of help from the internet I have constructed a 'lightbox'. I use the term loosely as it is rather Heath Robinson and consists of an old PC monitor with a Word Doc open, a punched pocket and lots of tape. However, I am enclosing the results to see how they can be improved. Any help with be gratefully received. I've tried my phone and camera and results are pretty much the same.
P.S. Just had a text to say that she has some of Birmingham city centre too.

They are both taken in the mid 60's from the top of Ansells Brewery the first one looking towards the city and the second towards Salford Bridge. You can just see the Aston Picture House in the second one (hopefully).

Attachments

• WP_20170212_16_31_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170212_16_31_25_Pro.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 98
  • WP_20170212_16_37_03_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20170212_16_37_03_Pro (2).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 91
Possible to get a "scanner" from Maplins or Pc World etc. to download the slides into computer Does colour slides or black and white or colour negs.

pen i think the only way to get a really good pic is to do what jim suggested and get a special scanner unless you know someone you could borrow one off ...not sure of the price but i think about 30 to 40 pounds...if they were taken in the 60s it would be great to see them:)

lyn

Thanks Mike, that is better. Devon Jim and Lyn, I'm still hoping to get a scanner but it won't be for a while. I saw one at Maplins for £39.99 so maybe the birthday fairy might bring one. I found about 20 wedding photos (our wedding) too - all these years we've only had about two! Also some of the children in the 70's and 80's so it would be worth it. Watch this space!

wow pen given that you also have family photos i think it would be well worth it...i shall wait with baited breath:)

Lady Pen. I recommend that you do get a scanner. I bought one a few years ago with the intention of digitising all my slides but unfortunately these past three years have been difficult for me so my programme has slipped considerably. My problem is that I did not label my boxes of slides properly so I have to look at them and try to remember where and when I took them. I used colour slides from 1961 to 2004 and estimate that I have over 2000.

Thank you David, I will definitely be looking at them. I don't have that many, only about 100 including the ones my friend gave me. Two or three of the ones I inherited from the family show a couple of roads in Newtown so I want to do those as well.
I'm sorry you've had a difficult time over the past three years, life does tend to get in the way of plans doesn't it?

As Pedrocut has said they will probably need some work done on them as you might think the colours do not come out quite true. I forgot to mention that if you have negatives you can scan them and reverse then so that they come out as positives

Ah, Pedrocut, I remember that boat very well, though it must be at least 40 years since I was down there. The slide has come out well and I will reiterate what you and several others have recommended to Lady P - get one! :) My youngest son bought one to convert about 2,000 of my late father-in-law's slides containing sunsets, steam trains at Bournemouth, & holidays at Ostend. Very simple to use and the results are very good.

Maurice

Thank you all for your input. Scanner definitely on the list. We've had to replace one or two things in the house recently, starting with the larder fridge. Just before Christmas the vacuum cleaner burst into flames (I think it was with excitement at being used!) then the electric kettle ... I will get round to it especially now that I know there are some more city centre pictures on the way.

I took a lot of slide pics in the 1970s and got them into a computer by doing the following.
Short piece of wood
Fixed a digital camera to it with blue tac etc
Set camera on 'macro'
Made some card to hold the slide vertical about three inches from the lens.
Fixed a diffused light source behind the slide battery and bulb
Pressed the camera button focus and took a pic.
Did about a hundred shots very quickly by just changing the slides.
Example images can be seen in a couple I put on the forum here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...olidays-in-woolacomb.16566/page-6#post-459456
The slightly dark corners were actually on the slides.

I've got an Epson photo/slide scanner so if you could get the slides to me I'd be happy to scan them for you.
Alternatively as you have a projector you could project them onto your screen and use your camera to photo the pics on the screen

The "Golden Hind" is still moored in Brixham harbour. The paintwork is a little different now and the ship has different owners. I have never been on the ship as a visitor but have been on it, quite a few years ago, to small fires on board. Sadly a monkey and a parrot, if memory serves me correctly, died in one of the fires. It is a replica sailing ship, not an original, and has a Thames barge keel.
Brixham is more famous for building the Mayflower II galleon, in 1956, from where it sailed, in 1957, to Plymouth, Massachusetts where it still resides. Both my father and (at the time future father in law) were involved in it construction.

Thanks OldMohawk, this is sort of what I did but I used the open Word doc as my light source. Not sure about the 'slide battery and bulb' bit though. Also I don't think my camera is up to the task although my phone normally takes good pictures. Do you know what caused the 'texture' on the pictures please? I'd like to have another go.

Thanks Eric, my husband (who you met at the Christmas meet) did suggest the screen/projector/camera way forward but if this doesn't work I will definitely take you up on your offer. We're not too far away from you.

Thanks OldMohawk, this is sort of what I did but I used the open Word doc as my light source. Not sure about the 'slide battery and bulb' bit though. Also I don't think my camera is up to the task although my phone normally takes good pictures. Do you know what caused the 'texture' on the pictures please? I'd like to have another go.

Thanks Eric, my husband (who you met at the Christmas meet) did suggest the screen/projector/camera way forward but if this doesn't work I will definitely take you up on your offer. We're not too far away from you.
I think the texture on the pics is because you are photographing a computer screen and picking up the individual pixels.
Eric's suggestion of photographing a projector screen should work because there are no pixels.
The light source I used on the camera method I previously described was from small slide viewer which had a bulb, batteries, and diffuser. It was the type in which you pushed a slide in and could view it magnified. I took it apart and set it up opposite the camera.

Are you mixing me up with the other Eric, I've not been to a meet yet?

Back