• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Where was Union Passage? I think this photograph is quite amazing, it is just the sort of view I wish Birmingham still had. Is Union Passage the one from Union Street to New Street?

Mossg - I posted something about the passage that lead into that market - I cannot remember now, but it was a street, I think, not a passage. I got it from a book, but it will take me a while to find out where it was.

hi shortie yes thats the one...i think the pic i posted of union passage is looking towards where it exists onto new st..in fact i think we can see the exit..

lyn

Here is an 1895 photo of Union Passage. Plenty of atmosphere in this photo and there is a pub where the Cabin stands in Lyn's picture. I wonder if it is called The Cabin? Union Passage is where the Britannia Hotel entrance is off New Street. Judy

City+Union+Passage+1895.jpg

Hi Judy. Next to the man standing in the doorway is part of a sign which could say
".....on's (luch)eon (ba)r" Feeling bold, so thought I'd have a wild guess! They definitely sell wines and spirits and definitely sell Bass beer. So maybe a bar that sells food too perhaps? Viv.

Brilliant picture. Now I can see clearly where it was. Yes, Lyn, I agree, go back for a day - would be wonderful. Might just want to make that a week, not a day!!

Yes Lyn, I see that sign on the window and agree with you. See they were selling Bass in those days as well!

Like you Lyn and Shortie I wish I could go back for a few days to that time as well.

Judy

BBC_Brum_Tardis_2.JPG

Here you go Lyn - Currently parked at Radio WM in the Mailbox. Don't forget to take some REAL money with you, not this mickey mouse decimal stuff

lol bri....come on then girls what we waiting for...dont forget yer white five pound notes....

lyn

ok judy..see you there lol..seriously though it does not really matter if we dont know the location of phils pics straight away..its fun working it out and we also learn something...

look forward to the next one phil....

I had a paper round to Alexandra rd and the roads by there. 1954 when I did it .Do you remember the cycle track in Balsall Heath rd.facing the Lytlon pub.

Sorry if these have been on before , just 2 pics ive found taken around the Flat area ...... ragga :smug:
hockley 1.jpghockley.jpg

img392.jpg
Lloyd or Mike, help needed if you have time please. I have no information whatsoever with this one and I am hoping it is in Birmingham.

Hi Stitcher - great picture :adoration: just after where it says Rabbits I think it might say telephone ASTON CROSS - but not certain.

Bomb damage in Hunters vale Hockley.
2hunters.jpg

Great picture of Poultons Stitcher,locally known as the Soldiers,we used to queue up on Christmas eve too get a chicken in the sale which went on about 10.30 pm the crowd used to be right round the corner in Cromwell street.

I have a vague memory of those large "Walls ice Cream dispensers" Topsy I seem to remember you put in a "tanner" and got a choc ice, or lolly, or brickett.
paul

Just found two more photos of Union Passage, showing earlier views for comparison with Lyn's fantastic photo. The first is the Passage looking towards Bull Street in 1864 (so the view is not to New Street after all!). The second photo shows the same view of the Passage but taken in 1895 with Bensons Bar when the Cabin later stood. Hope these pics come out large enough. (I've also posted this on the Passageways and Alleys thread).

Union Passage001.jpg

hi topsy and wow..if those pics are of hunters vale what a find you have made for me..our dad lived in the new maisonettes that is on the corner of the vale and villa st during the war but he has never said that they we hit so badly..i wonder if you could email those 2 pics in larger format please as i would like to get a better look at them..looking at pic 1 it could just show one of the maisionettes and finding out the name of the factory in pic 2 would be great.. but i cant be sure just yet and pic 2 could quite easily show my rellie/rellies but i do need to confirm that these pics are of hunters vale...i am visiting our dad today so i will ask him what he knows...

thanks topsy..

lyn

topsy ive just been on the BARRA site it says that there was an injury to a henry thompson who lived at 74 hunters vale..the date of injury was 30.7.1942 so this date ties in with the date of your pics...i feel sure they are of hunters vale but i will do a bit more research and talk to dad later...

lyn

Last edited:
Back