• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

Last edited by a moderator:
hi geoff,i went to sir wilfrid martineau , next door to BKC,from 1970 to 1975. I agree it's a disgrace .Shame as I have fond memories from then.

Hi Mossey, My Mum went to that school from about 1935 to about 1943.

When I said my mum went to that school I meant St Peter's RC Primary Ladywood.

Hi everyone - I am still looking for photographs of old Birmingham school badges, emblems, etc.

Edit. See link here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/school-badges.21841/page-2#post-394312

Remember
, most school reports had the school emblem printed onto the front of the report - so if you have an old school report please post a copy of the school badge/emblem as I am compiling a list of all the old schools in Birmingham.

By the way, I am desparate to get a copy of a photograph of Harry Lucas School in Hockley, so if you have one please post a copy.

Many thanks Mabz

Might be worth mentioning that there were 2 other schools on the Stockland Green site: Marsh Hill Boys grammar tech and Stockland Green Bilateral School. All 3 schools (including Marsh Hill Girls) were on the same campus. I expect these have all since disappeared or been amalgamated into what became the FE college. Viv

Last edited:
st silas in lozells i attended this school in approx.1967.I think the buildings still there but is no longer used as a school. Pagnall road school, i think this was in quinton, i attended there in 1970 and Ilmington road sec. mod.i was there from 1971 to 76. I now live in cheshire so i went back to weoley castle to visit ilmington in 1997 but alas there were shops there instead.

Edit. A link to Ilmington Road school thread is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...school-weoley-castle.45292/page-2#post-523810

Institute Road Junior and Infants School, Institute Road (northern corner with High Street), King's Heath. This was an early Board School, c 1880. By the 1930s it was deemed no longer fit for purpose, and Wheelers Lane J&I was built to replace it, from January 1939. The site was scheduled to have a cinema built on it. The war intervened, and when George Mason's, grocer's, warehouse was bombed, the school buildings were requisitioned to be used by Mason's. After the war, Mason's warehouse was rebuilt, but with the "baby boom" more school accommodation was needed, and the long-condemned buildings were refurbished and re-opened as a school, serving for more than ten years (see Angela Hurley's post 189 above). I think they were eventually replaced by a primary school in Valentine Road.

Edit. Link to Kings Heath School thread is here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...heath-junior-infant-school.47859/#post-540623

Hi everyone - I am still looking for photographs of old Birmingham school badges, emblems, etc.

Remember, most school reports had the school emblem printed onto the front of the report - so if you have an old school report please post a copy of the school badge/emblem as I am compiling a list of all the old schools in Birmingham.

By the way, I am desparate to get a copy of a photograph of Harry Lucas School in Hockley, so if you have one please post a copy.

Many thanks Mabz

My old school badge - Stockland Green. First go at posting images, so fingers crossed.

n5683621758_8249.jpg

Edit. Unfortunately the school badge image has been lost. A link to Stockland Green School thread is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...and-green-bilateral-school.48231/#post-349084

hi pete..just noticed that you are from tower st..would that be upper or lower..would love to see any pics you may have of the street...there are about 6 or 7 pics of lower on the forum...

lyn

Back