• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Birmingham Schools - Changed Or Demolished

I went to Colmers Farm School, before they built the school it was farm land hence the name

i havent yet seen anyone who attended mary street infants school in balsall heath on here ..i started there in 1951.and left for secondary school in 1957..to go to upper highgate school for girls where i finished my education. .....

My cousins all went there but way before your time at the school.

I attended Woodhouse Road J & I School, Quinton; Headmaster, Mr Strudwick.
Station Road Secondary Modern School, Harborne, Headmaster, Mr Stanton. Left about 1952.
New Era College, 191 Corporation Street for Secretarial Studies.

Anyone out there attend any of the above???

Anthea.

Edit. Link to thread mentioning Woodhouse School and Station Road School here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ary-modern-school-harborne.29110/#post-427932

Last edited by a moderator:
Lozells Street Board School. Photo (1883) of class with my grandfather.
Lozells%20School.htm

Neither of my schools exist any longer.

Birchfield Road Primary in Perry Barr (an earlier poster mentioned the senior boys) which was demolished in the mid 60's and where part of the University of Central England (now Birmingham City University) now stands.
There was a badge but I can't quite remember what it looked like exactly other than it had BRPS in gold (?) letters across it.

Edit. A link to Birchfied Road Primary School thread is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birchfield-road-primary-school.48210/

My senior school was Marsh Hill Grammar Technical which I think is now a sixth form college.

Beeches Road Secondary Modern. (Three Beech trees in yellow and green) Don't think they had a badge at all until about 1950/1 when a Mr Edge came in as a vigorous new Head.

Stanmore Secondary Modern
Stanmore Road
Edgbaston
Birmingham 16

1966 - 1975

Stanmore Secondary School opened in 1966, replacing the City Road and Barford Secondary Schools. The school closed in 1975 and most of the pupils transferred to George Dixon School

From September 1977 the building became the Lower School of George Dixon School.

Edit. Link to Stanmore Secondary School thread is here hxttp://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/clifton-road-school-sparkbrook.27123/#post-251586

Edit. Link to George Dixon's School thread is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ixons-grammar-school.12510/page-7#post-589336

Summerville Road does still exist and still functions as a school.
My mother's family all attended in the 1920's. They lived in Baker Street.
All for now. Trousers

St. Agnes Convent Highschool...on the sight of Edmund Campion.It was originally in the house of Josiah Mason and owned and run by Dominican nuns. Knocked down and replaced by Edmund Campion school.

Back