• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oh God, No! Remember This...

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
16806866_1215788235195190_1602484080045559682_n.jpg

The Rotunda Subway...
...The things I did to get my Two Tones and Staypressed from Nelson House.

The escalator that rarely worked!!
(I think it's mentioned elsewhere on the Forum).
There was a shoe shop just to the bottom left of the photo, I knew the lady who worked there, people were always stealing odd shoes!!
rosie.

That's the Bull Ring of my teens! Many happy Saturday afternoons spent there.

Yet, strangely I do like the new Bull Ring, think its a really nice place to shop

That's the Bull Ring of my teens! Many happy Saturday afternoons spent there.

Yet, strangely I do like the new Bull Ring, think its a really nice place to shop

from one baggies fan to another:D i also had many happy shopping hours there...great pics BB

lyn

Phone boxes in full use ! Who'd have imagined how mobile phones would transform our lives?

Wasn't Kelly Girl a recruitment agency ? Wouldn't be possible these days to have a female exclusive employment agency. In fact there are very few employment agencies in premises left at all, mostly now done online.

Viv

Phone boxes in full use ! Who'd have imagined how mobile phones would transform our lives?

Wasn't Kelly Girl a recruitment agency ? Wouldn't be possible these days to have a female exclusive employment agency. In fact there are very few employment agencies in premises left at all, mostly now done online.

Yes, Kelly Girl was an employment agency and I temped for them during 1990, I temped at the old General Hospital, in the oncology clinic which, actually was a good job to have. I made friends with the sister in charge of the clinic and she ground out it was my birthday and got me a card and a cream cake, which was lovely!

I also worked for them on another NHS contract at Bartholomew House on the Hagley Road, in reception as I was a receptionist/telephonist until I started to go deaf.

I think where the photo was taken, Rosie mentions a shoe shop, I think there was also a shoe repair shop, Thornton's (yum) and a big clothes shop where I brought my Harrington jacket from. Im sure there was also a KFC shop, the bank, bookies and then round the corner to the Bar St Martin, as I knew it, once of course the Mulberry Bush.

I used to walk up that way from the markets if I was popping in HMV to buy a record and catch the 82 home. So many good memories from that photo!

Viv

Back