• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Off Licence - Newbridge Road and Hob Moor Road Small Heath

This off-licence owned by M&B was on the corner of Newbridge Road and Hob Moor Road. So, technically this building was in Small Heath, though it is on the way to Yardley. The shop still stands in the 21st century but has been converted into a fast-food outlet. Here in 1960 the neat-looking building with lovely doors was managed by a woman named Dora. Her surname is covered by the lamp over the door. During the Second World War the offie was run by Mrs. Hilda Parker. Born in October 1899, she married in the following year to Henry Purchase. She would later live further along Newbridge Road but was living in at 105 Manor House Lane in South Yardley when she died in February 1964.

Yardley - Off Licence in Newbridge Road.jpg

Used this off -licence all the time when I lived in Fosbrooke Road in the 70's.
I remember this outdoor, I use to live on Hobmoor Rd
There was some waste ground at the rear of the outdoor that led a service road to the rear of the other shops on Hobmoor Rd and to Sheldon Heath football ground

Back