• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Oakley Road School Small Heath

S

steerboy

Hi Beamish.

It looks like you and I have the same background,

Dixon Road 1944 to 1950 and Oakley Road under "Raggie Allen headmaster"
1950 to 1954.
What were your dates?

Regards Steerboy.

Evening Steerboy, You were at Dixon and Oakley prior to me, my Sister was there about the same time as you. Mind you Raggy Allen was still there when I went. Remember he always wore a brown suit, brown shoes, brown tie and a cream coloured shirt. Was Killer Evans there at the same time as you?

Hi Beamish.

Well you have just sent a shiver down my spine with the mention of "Killer" Evans I was in his class for a couple of years and belive me he was well named.
The other names that spring to mind are Nogger Evans, Miss Beadle who tried to teach us French when we could not even speak English half the time,Mr Benson with his very thin cane, Miss Hughes (wow) and her fancy man Mr Williams and dear Mr Tate who felt the pain himself when he caned you.
These names may not be familiar to you but they would be to your sister.

Regards Steerboy.

Hi Steerboy,

Mr Williams rings a bell or rather -If it's the same one who taught maths - he rang my ears with a T square, simply because I asked him what is the point in learning Algebra when somebody has already learned it...I think, with his Welsh accent he called me 'Stupid Boy' Mrs Beadle, was she the one who was forever using a tuning fork?

Hi,Carol, do you mean Oldknow Road which was in Small Heath. I think there was a school and a church which may still be there,but sorry I don't have any pictures,are you local if not ask the Forum again.Angela.

Yes its still there my oldest daughter had her Holly Comminuim there and my two lads went there as well
And on the deciding of speed bumps in the road the city councillor and the BBC went to that School to Asked was there any serous accidents
To any child on the roads around and it was my lad whom was knocked down and died and brought back to life three times
Because of the accident died when he first was struck they done the red code on him at the hospital on stand by for his arrival
They brought him back to life in reception, and rushed him into thearter where upon he came back but within ten minutes he had the relasped
And died again but dashed back in and brought him alive
His body was like a sack of pototoes he had metal plate hips today to walk about today he cannot play foot ball or swim
And do general walking but any way they chose him for the interview with the councillor of the city highways whom is still there today
We was filmed on the Coventry rd and interviewed in our house on BBC today it went out live both of us
And it was then they decided to put the speed bumps on all roads around and the city,it was my daughter wrote to council
When she was young girl asking for a play area for all her friends and the streets a rounding children in the area of
Kings road Redhill red speedwell road and George red of hay mills to play in and the certain councillor for that borough
In the area whom is also well known today but no names mentionioned he was not high rate years ago but today he makes is mark
And my daughter now she is a grown woman with her own kids still communicates with this guy from time to time
But getting back to your request its called the Holly Family Church And School And I think its Called a Accadimie school old know red
My long time friend from boyhood lived next door to the school but died about eight years ago from cancer
We lived around the corner facing rooted car factory before Asda Arrived With The problems we're shipped out because of there
Traffic coming and going best wishes Astonian,,,,,,,,,,

Hi Carol,sorry I have now found Oakley Road Small Heath and as I am sure you know the school is no longer there,Angela.

CarolC

Oakley Road School is still there today, but it is now part of Holy Trinity Catholic Media Arts College. That is partly in Oakley Rd and partly in Cooksey Rd and runs through to Bolton Rd.

Attachments

• Holy Trinity.JPG
    Holy Trinity.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 46
Hi Carol C.
This photo was taken in the playground at Oakley Road School of my class in 1954.
Regards Acklam19.oakley1954.jpg

Early 1900s photo of Oakley Road Junior schoolchildren. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 34
Another Oakley Road school photo, this time a mixed class but looks the same era as post #11.
image.jpeg

The old school has gone, but it's alleged the caretakers house is still there. This looks like part of the old school, but if it's the caretaker's house it's a very big house. Maybe originally it was the schoolmaster's house ? Viv.

image.jpeg

Welcome David. There’s a thread here that might be of interest. Viv.

Hi viv, l attended Dixon rd school 46 to 51 then Oakley rd school 51 to 56.
l remember junior school teachers mrs Bates, mr Clark, mr Lyons, head miss Griffin then
Mr Brooking. senior teachers mr Evans senior, mr Evans junior, mr Williams, mr Benson who traveled by car from Kinver, mr Thomson who took a group of us to Amsterdam. Easter 56.
Happy Memories. David J . And of cause Mr Allen head.

David, I shall move your posts to the Oakley Road School thread. Viv.

Edit, posts now moved

No External photos but these might be recognized by somebody

Attachments

• RJB School (01).jpg
    RJB School (01).jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 23
  • RJB School (02).jpg
    RJB School (02).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
Back