• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Norton Baths

M

maxwell bullivant

Does anyone have any information on Norton Baths In Adderley Road , just up from the Gate Saltley ? They have been closed for many years , and yet look in good nick from the outside.
I would love to have a look inside.

Cheers Macca. i would love to have a look around in there , i believe that by looking from the outside they were possibly Washing Baths , rather than swimming baths , there were swimming baths not far away.
Last week i noticed that some new pointing work had been done,! Perhaps the council ( if they still own the place ) have plans for it .?

Hi Maxwell,

They were swimming baths, they closed it the late 80's I think. I spent many happy hours here. On the link in my previous post another forum member said the building has been converted for use as an islamic community centre.

Macca

I thought baths in Adderley Road were washing baths as as friend of mine (who lived in Adderley Road) used to go there for her weekly (probably Sunday!) bath.

The swimming baths were George Arthur. George Arthur Road wasn't far from Addrerley Road, off St. Savious.

Hi Sue & Maxwell,

George Arthur & Norton Baths are the same place. There was one swimming pool and washing facilities at the rear. It could be accessed from George Arthur Road (swimming entrance) and Adderley Road rear entrance. I think there are some pics of the interior on here somewhere.

Macca

Sorry Macca , but Norton Baths are most certainly still there !! as i said previously, that Last Week new Pointing work had been done on the building .I will take photographs on Saturday and post them on the Forum. The Baths in George Arthur road , is where my kids learned to swim , so i know the interior very well , it is the baths on Adderley Road that i am interested in .

Hello
The swimming baths in George Arthur Road were there until the 80's I think. I went there all the time when growing up. The washing baths in Adderley Road, were just that, and a separate building alltogether. I wonder if the council are going to conserve them as there cant be many of them left around the country now.
WendyP

Hi Maxwell,

When I was at school we had swimming lessons at Norton Baths (George Arthur, Saltley... it had various names). The lessons took place at 9.00am on Monday mornings so we made our own way to the baths, we had to meet at the rear of the baths on Adderley Road. We walked though the old washing or bathing area to get to the pool, it was always freezing cold at that end even in the summer. If you look on google earth you will see that the pool end of the building is no longer there only the rear remains. I hope other members will back me up on this!

adderley rd was the washing baths and george arthur rd was the swimming baths it was always that way in the 195os

Yes but it was the same building, separated by 2 big heavy doors. Just checked on another site and found this :

0422 SALTLEY "NORTON COTTAGE" BATHS Adderley Road, Saltley 01Room & Land for 49th Rifle Club.

So thats what it is now.

Macca

Photos of the baths taken 26/09/2009. Its now used as a Gun Club . The police are said to train there.

Sorry seems that photos will not upload !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lyn , i dont know what the problem was ,, But after all i am only a man !!

i will not reply to that max for fear of getting meself into hot water...lol...

lyn

Back